Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread
Grumpy said:
I have a 20 gig and one of the smallest laptops known to man. I have all my photos, installation videos, documents, etc... and more than 10 gig of spare space.
I have a 14 month old Gateway M500 (40 GB) as my primary computing platform. It's been giving me headaches since October (heats up and shuts itself down) What brands/models do you own and would you buy another? Why or why not?

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I have an HP zt3000 and I LOVE IT!

I do all my estimates and web stuff on it. It has a Centrino processor so the battery life is great along with built in wireless.
Its funny, almost every place I go to for an estimate I find a open wireless network to jump on. I'm always downloading emails when I stop.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I normally suggest Dell. I have the most experience with IBM laptops, find them extremely reliable, but cost a bit more than others. I'm somewhat familiar with Toshiba, HP, Gateway. I suggest Dell for their pricing, consistent quality and support (even though their support isn't always in English).

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I previously had a couple of Toshibas that worked well but bought a Dell last year on a geeks recommendation..so far no problem.

·
Professional Tradesman
307 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
I previously had a couple of Toshibas that worked well but bought a Dell last year on a geeks recommendation..so far no problem.
Toshiba Satellite 4030CDT is my model. Had a Dell before this one, gave me nightmares..lol Toshibas are a bit expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great insight gents - anyone else? What does bluetooth do for you?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Dell for desktops. I have a TABLET pc which is different froma laptop because it is smaller and has more features, like hand writing recognition, and the ability to be used as a clip board... It is a compaq ti 1000.

I suggest a no year warranty on anything, especially on Dells. I've been using dells for years and never have problems unless I start to tinker with things like hard ware and drivers.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Nathan said:

Would that be Bluetooth, or no?
I'm currently looking for a new one, and my truck printer has the Bluetooth card.
Just got an HP catalog in the mail, some of these laptops look nice, and not too pricey.
I got bluetooth and WIFI (802.11G)

Pipe: Bluetooth is a wireless solution for peripherals like mice, printers, keyboards, etc... Its good up to about 20-30 feet.

Prowall: if your looking for a laptop I would say go with the HP. I've had a HP, Dell, and Toshiba and the HP has been my favorite.
Its light and has a 15" Widescreen which really helps me when Excel.
Not sure if they make my model anymore though. They don't all feel as solid as this one.
This is similar to the one I have: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31550&item=6736366852&rd=1

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got an IBM T40 w/ wireless and love it. With the extended battery I'm good to go for about 5 hours. And the wireless is great around the house. I also learned when you buy it to ask for a first time discount. It amounted to a few hundred dollars and brought the price close to Dell.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
I've got a 38, 24, 28, and she loves my lap..........top.:cheesygri

Bob
Yeah, Bob. I had one just like that, but after I installed wife 1.0, she turned into a 40, 34, 38. :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts