Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant seem to come up with something i think will look good for around this post. Everything here is cedar but i hate to wrap a 6x6 and make it an 8x8. Cant just leave the treated exposed that looks like crap. Any ideas?

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bah yeah i can agree with it now, didnt prepare for not covering it and i got a 3/8's gap on both outsides to deal with.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ask the inspector why he wanted a treated post buried 4 feet, i get tired of arguing with them. And i find it just as easy to bend aluminum around a post as opposed to buying it.

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Wrap it with plywood that will slide right up into the little gaps on the outside. then paint or stain

Ripped into 8' long 6" strips, mitered, caulked corners and nails, primed (both sides) and painted it looks just like a solid chunk of wood. A little trickier with posts over 8' but can still be done to look nice.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I would probly pad the post out with some 3/8" plywood (keeping it up off the ground) or what ever size needed to cover the gaps and wrap it with aluminum. Or the cedar would be nice too, just makes the post a little thick when its done though.

Dave

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you're only worried about the 3/8" gap, just pop a small bed moulding, quarter-round, or cove around the top...

I like the idea of the fluted corners, too. :thumbsup:

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Andy here's the front and both side elevations. Yes its alot of sliding doors and i dont think its an overly attractive building. Originally it was a 32x100 horse barn, addition is 66x16 then wraps around the back corner 12x16. The doors arent for horses she wanted a full view opening because the building sits on a point rather high on the side of the hill and its what her and the architect came up with.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Two ideas. Face it with the knotty wood (Pine?) or cover it with the shakes.

Prior to the pics I was thinking about a Key West treatment. See how important info is?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts