Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 5 years ago, one of our lifelong dreams became a reality. We were able to purchase a 137 acre farm in NE MO. My wife & I love to hunt & love the outdoors & our dream has always been to live on our own land. The ideal building site already had a house on it, which we had the option of purchasing with the farm, but just couldn't swing it financially.

The plan, was to eventually build on this property. Besides the financial burden of building, it had some other obstacles standing in the way of our building site. 1/4 mile of new road would have to be put in. A bridge or large culvert would have to be put into a large drainage. 1/4 mile of water & electric would have to be run.

We had gotten over a couple of those obstacles. 4'x30' road tube & the 1/4 mile of new road. Check. Building site leveled. Check.

This past summer, we abandoned our original plan. The house & 10 acres we opted out of originally, became available again & fortunately, we were financially able this time.

Like I said in the title, it's not our dream home, but the view we'll wake up to every morning, made us decide we could make it into a home we could live with.

Everything you see in this picture belongs to us. There are deer & turkey in that field nearly every day. Not uncommon to see bobcats, rabbits, quail, right up in the yard. Right at dark every night, the coyotes start singing to each other.

So, we decided to take a perfectly livable house, & destroy it in an attempt to make it as close to our dream home as we could.

Blew out the existing interior wall separating the kitchen/dining room from the living room & moved it to make the dining room larger.

Salvaged a pair of french doors from an old home years ago & finally found a place to use them. I've still go to get them refinished. First time I had ever done pocket doors.

None of the existing windows suited us & there were 2 exterior doors that we didn't care for their layout, so both were removed & one put back in in a different location.

I hate the white vinyl, but we'll tackle that in the exterior phase of the remodel. It was the cheapest solution to get weather tight in the short time line we had to work with.

Going back together. First attempt at tile. Wasn't too bad. Momma's happy with how it came out.

Hopefully, I can get our hardwood floors laid before the weeks over. Here's a sample. Random width, reclaimed cypress. Yeah, I know it's gonna be soft, but it's the living room & won't get much abuse.

I strive to know my limitations. I know I suck at finishing drywall corners, but I'm pretty good at hanging wallpaper & running crown & both will hide a lot of drywall mistakes.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kitchens going back together as well. We've built the cherry cabinets from scratch. Headed out here in a little while to finish putting the doors on. Before someone asks, the cabinet above the stove? I miscalculated the size somehow. Still don't know what I done. It's been taken down & resized since these pics. Just wanted it in place for a get together we had this fall.

The 4 upper compartments on the pantry are all pullouts for canned goods & the likes.

I got a few doors on the other night.

I'll update this thread as we make progress. Good lord willing & the creeks don't rise, we'll be living in our new home by spring. We've got a lot done, but still have a ways to go & fortunately, work has still been good & fairly plentiful for us, so spare time to work on our own stuff has not been abundant.

Thanks for looking.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I would have just built a 16x20 enclosed patio on the back overlooking that view and called 'er perfect. That is beautiful landscape right there.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
thanks for posting:thumbsup:
good for you, looks like your going to make a great life there
best wishes to you and your family
keep us posted and keep the pics coming:thumbup:

·
Contractor
4,761 Posts
wow-beautiful country. were the shots taken awhile ago---no snow?

nice choice on the house-you can add a little here and a little there as you are able :)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Needs a second floor master suite with french doors and ceiling to floor glass on each side of them opening up to the view...:thumbsup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Beautiful place.:thumbsup:

I love the view.

I think a guest house and an open invitation is the only thing missing.:laughing:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I wanna shoot the deer don't ya know tis the season

·
Registered
65 Posts
Fantastic spread there, Pinwheel. I'd love to have something like that but my wife can't stand to be more than a quarter mile from a shopping center

·
Registered
167 Posts
I can't let my wife see the pics, she will be on the move off LI kick again, not that I blame her. Good luck , that is a beautiful chunk of land, I,m jealous:thumbup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
nice view, and house is coming together great.

Cabinet above the stove, you had said you had no idea how you sized it wrong. I'm guessing maybe you had planned on microwave above the stove? Looks right anyway.

Great work on the cabinets btw.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts