Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys;
I'm not a contractor, but you guys have given me some great ideas. Spoke with someone who was working on a rental he owned. Small electrical and framing job, all inside of the house. I told him if he hears a knock at the door, and he thinks it's the code enforcement person, just go upstairs, laydown and take a nap until 7:00 pm, then leave when it's dark. Can you be fined for something they suspect is going on inside? He is doing no add on, just repairs. Ever heard of someone doing something like this? Would it work?
Thanks

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Are you an idiot?

Enforcement is the key word, Code is what they look at. Code enforcement officers have the ability to get a search warrant.

Why not just get a permit like everyone else and do it right

·
Registered
819 Posts
inspectors can get the police involved to get their jobs done

you cant just hide from the government...they are watching and want their tax $$

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please.......if a code officer went to the police department in this town 15,000 and said "I think this guy might be putting in an illegal header and wiring a switch" that guy would be laughed at. Not even a police officer can break down your door (unless pursuit) for a crime. They have to get a warrant for a judge. I can see someone ask the judge "can we get a search warrant, I saw this guy unloading plywood after hours".

·
Finish Carpentry
396 Posts
Wow first a working for cash thread and now doing illegal work?

Knock knock!
Who's there?
THE FEDS!!!

Go find more important things to do.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Here, if the building inspector finds out you started a job without the proper permits (and they always do....sooner or later) they 'll fine you, charge you for the proper permits, and unfortunately they will 'inspect' your job.

I'd rather have the inspector's respect, than have him mad at me..

As a contractor, I have to obey the laws, rules, and regulations, you and your friend should ,too...

·
Registered
8,656 Posts
In NJ they can walk right in. Happened to me, surprised the hell out of me. He thought I was doing something other than wainscoting a block from his office.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so an inspector can walk in even though the door is locked, and you own the property, just not your primary resident.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,699 Posts
In NJ they can walk right in. Happened to me, surprised the hell out of me. He thought I was doing something other than wainscoting a block from his office.
They may have convinced you they can, but in truth, they have no authority to enter private property without your permission if they don't have a warrant. NJ is still part of America, not a communist country.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
pinwheel said:
They may have convinced you they can, but in truth, they have no authority to enter private property without your permission if they don't have a warrant. NJ is still part of America, not a communist country.

That's not true.

·
Hack
3,010 Posts
First, I gotta say that my initial reaction to this post was a bit over the top...but this is quite simply the most ridiculous bit of advice I have read on here.
A nap? Really?
Better to go answer the door and deal with it, than hide and create suspicion.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.