Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in northern Maine and have been doing my own thing since 97'. I make a great living, love what I do and really should have nothing to complain about. But I do.

Up here no one ever does high end work. Its like everyone is poor and always wants the cheapest things. Basic basic basic is always the key.

I see a lot of posts on here with beutiful custom work being done and I am always jealous. Cant wait til I get out of here and really get to do some nice work. Until then... Going to go fix something that should of been torn down:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Remodel
31,084 Posts
I here you, there are a lot of places like that. You should hear what some of the big city section 8 housing guys I know say:whistling

But it's a living for them, too.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've got a friend up in Aroostook County.....he says he can stay busy, but there's not much money......

I know there's an awful lot of money in ME though......flip through 'Downeast' magazine, and there are tons of really good looking, well built homes......I guess you'd have to move closer to the coast, or at least some of the more exclusive lakes, but it still seems like a nice summer/fall destination.........

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
K&K Carpentry said:
I live in northern Maine and have been doing my own thing since 97'. I make a great living, love what I do and really should have nothing to complain about. But I do.

Up here no one ever does high end work. Its like everyone is poor and always wants the cheapest things. Basic basic basic is always the key.

I see a lot of posts on here with beutiful custom work being done and I am always jealous. Cant wait til I get out of here and really get to do some nice work. Until then... Going to go fix something that should of been torn down:thumbsup:
Same here. We can make a good living but its all simple work or complex repairs. Very few cool projects going on. Well there is, but alot of that work is tightly controlled by a few big builders that are in tight with the white collar companies . Or being at the right place at the right time. But like in the deck thread , small simple projects are money makers. Just no glamour like the cool hardwood curved staircases or 5 piece crown mouldings.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My in laws have a great va ca home. 45 from Portland lake front. Doesn't seem to be much building going on there outside my father in laws endeavors . I hope I don't have to side his new garagemahall before winter. It's already getting cold there.

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The good thing about up here is its pretty cheap living. It doesnt take that much to live up here. Average salary is prob around 22-25k for uneducated person, but you can also go get a nice house for 35-50k. My first house I bought years ago was a small 3br 1 ba ranch. Needed a lot of cosmetic work, and a new roof but I bought it for 8k. It was sitting on 3 acres and had a nice little pond out back.

I have friends in the trades all over the country and some of them cant believe the little bit that I charge. My buddy moved to Texas from here a few years back. He was pretty much a one man show up here, charging around 25 bucks an hour and always busy. He said after he got established in Texas he was able to double his wage. Both places he made a good living. Kind of all evens out I guess.

Ive been at it since 97' I use to have a large company with 12 employees an office building/shop and a lot of headaces. Sold the buisness 2 yrs ago and started going back to school. I only made it a few months before I started taking on small jobs again. I can't stay away from the trade, I love it too much. Its funny running my small company now compaired to the large my income really isnt that much different.

But I still wish I could do some high end work. Id love to build and install a 30k+ kitchen, LOL you dont even want to know what my average kitchen is up here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts