Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Professional Remodeler
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are starting a commercial remodel project for a client, turning a 2nd floor mezanine into an office area for the sales staff. The architect got the building department to OK the use of non-combustible wood for the stairways instead of fabricated steel.

I was just sitting here thinking about how you would finish them. One is a secondary exit out to the warehouse so bare wood is not a big deal, but the other stairway will be going right into the main office hallway and needs to look good.

Can you carpet it or apply any other finish like the preformed rubber treads and risers? ? Can it be painted? Does it have to be a fire-resistant finish? First time in 20+ years in the business I have run into a situation this.

Anyone have any experiance with this? Thanks for any suggestions or information.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
In my neck of the woods, you would be able to paint and use standard floor coverings. The main concern is the construction. Paint and carpet are coverings, and are not viewed as severely. Of coarse, I would check with my inspector. I would also expect that double 5/8" DW may be required on the underside, and the structure is rigorously fire blocked

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.