Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Getting ready to start a renovation in hospital adjacent to NICU. Premature baby’s are highly sensitive to noise. Above 45 dB it can cause developmental problems. Looking for quiet solutions to cutting Sheetmetal ductwork. Plasma cutting is all that I’ve found and that is not a good option in a hospital.
Simple. Get a noise deadening machine. It will drown out your machines noise. The are used by phycologist when with patients so no one in the other room can hear conversations.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So you're an MD then?
You understand a baby inside momma is shielded by the fact of being inside momma?
No, but I did look up the current noise "standard" . the age of the fetus has a huge effect on the baby's/fetuses sensitivity to LOUD noises...

What the current standard for pregnant mothers at Work....... there could be a pregnant person working in demo crew with out any noise exposure mitigation....

Just WHERE do you think the noise monitor will be, It will be OUTSIDE any incubator to avoid any infection/ electronic interference.... thus always reading a larger # then actually baby exposure.

You take a bath, and submerge your head, did your ears stop working completely?

Knocking down some steel/wood stud walls : one level of noise production.

Knocking down and cutting steel and concrete load bearing walls a columns, would create movement/ sounds in the very fibers of the structure.

It a very conservative standard with little exact science to justify its super low # for all times in the NICUs. IMHO

Does NICU have ongoing noise level monitoring and recording. ask for a copy of last years actual sound levels......He👂 he.

I'd avoid the work if possible, Americans are always looking for someone to blame when their kids aren't perfect, even those that got saved in a NICU. And hospitals are always looking for a new fall person for there latest dead/ injured by health care former customers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does NICU have ongoing noise level monitoring and recording. ask for a copy of last years actual sound levels......He👂 he.

I'd avoid the work if possible, Americans are always looking for someone to blame when their kids aren't perfect, even those that got saved in a NICU. And hospitals are always looking for a new fall person for there latest dead/ injured by health care former customers.
Well Spoken. However, Instead of not bidding, contact your insurance before hand and have them quote for coverage against suits by parents and caregivers. Send that quote as an addition to the bid included therein when you bid. No issue. BTW, might be best to use a different insurance policy altogether for hospital work, instead of our normal Ins policy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Getting ready to start a renovation in hospital adjacent to NICU. Premature baby’s are highly sensitive to noise. Above 45 dB it can cause developmental problems. Looking for quiet solutions to cutting Sheetmetal ductwork. Plasma cutting is all that I’ve found and that is not a good option in a hospital.
Wow, talk about totall recall. I did a Pharmacy 3 years ago. They told me that the head pharm lady was worse than Shaft (a super bad MF). My concern was the NICU right across the hall. I am a people person so I could win over the Shaft of Pharm somehow. Those babies were another story. Long story short, I did win Super Shaft over to my side. Those babies not so much.

I could only shoot plates (hammer drill or demo) from the top of the hour until 10 after. The babies were with the mother during that time on another floor. Could not (no how, no way) do it at night. It is a pain in the keester but you will and can do it. Lay out all the plates by chalk line and have them cut in advance. Then have a "nailing" party at the top of the hour or whenever they say. Never EVER let your mechanical hammer tin unless it is outside or the 10 minutes they alot you. Listen to infection control. Especially since covid. I was lucky and mine was pre covid. Now we have a Cath Lab to do and I am finishing an NCAA gym for a college. (Missed that bullet) They asled for me though and got apologies. That is the guy you want to be.The one they ask for and maybe can get. Just do what you would want done to you if you were in charge of that hospital.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts