Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
General Contractor
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to start a renovation in hospital adjacent to NICU. Premature baby’s are highly sensitive to noise. Above 45 dB it can cause developmental problems. Looking for quiet solutions to cutting Sheetmetal ductwork. Plasma cutting is all that I’ve found and that is not a good option in a hospital.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
How close to the NICU are you? They have so much equipment in there that there is always a soft gentle hum going on as background noise.

When we did hospital work, we would span a hallway with temp walls out of 2x and osb. Put some sound control insulation in there, and you'd be doing good.

Course, all of our hospital work was carefully coordinated way ahead of time.

One other major headache was the staff. They'd take any excuse, (Sounds, smells, noise) to go ahead and leave for the day.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Use as much as you can use sound deadening blankets on walls and ceiling, some carpet on the floor. Get with the right supplier for technical input. Use sound absorption panels also.

Addl concern would be flame spread rating. What is needed ? You could treat it yourself if needed -- with proper input.

Keep in mind any fire or maintenance official can cut a piece off and light it up as per ASTM / NFPA protocol to see what's going on.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bose style noise suppression? Speakers, software and amp with mics. Some $$$$ cars use active noise canceling for lighter exhaust/ more power.

I call B.S. on the 45 DeciBell max limit, otherwise no kids would every be born if mamma got near a loud noise.......

Get a helper and video camera/ monitor (Think Zoom?)for off campus cutting AND a tin tender/runner back and forth for a few days.......

·
Registered
804 Posts
Bose style noise suppression? Speakers, software and amp with mics. Some $$$$ cars use active noise canceling for lighter exhaust/ more power.

I call B.S. on the 45 DeciBell max limit, otherwise no kids would every be born if mamma got near a loud noise.......

Get a helper and video camera/ monitor (Think Zoom?)for off campus cutting AND a tin tender/runner back and forth for a few days.......
It's a fact and has been so for decades. AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommendation based on a lot of research based evidence. Many research studies on this exact subject out there to be found with an internet search.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
When I did hospital work there was usually a well built sound barrier or 2 between the construction area and the occupied area. If we did work in the occupied area there was very littler or no noise. Noise was a really big issue.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The standard test for heart rate response involves an 80 dB noise for 1-4 seconds. So there is a wide safety margin, but the stage of development determines sensitivity to noise levels

Even placing a blanket over the incubator lowers internal sound levels...... maybe sound isolating feet for Incubators.

I'd defiantly record sound levels BEFORE during and AFTER to reduce gold digging civil suites . in the demo area and the NICU 24/7 till job ended.

I can't see the hospital actually meets the current standard in normal operation..... How do the nurse speak to each other with out leaving the room.....? really?

Why wouldn't a rational hospital leader not MOVE the NICU during the construction?

I would walk away, If something is impossible, your contract is void.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You ever been in a NICU

Mike
Built a couple "green field" no remodel.
It is a room(s) with premature babies: Babies live now that would have died even 15 years ago... most have good lives.

NICU with 25 week babies is a whole different critter then one with some 32 week babies....

My local monster hospital corp has an empty partial floor they move units to as they remodel some fraction of the medical complex /campus every year, thus they'd move the NICU for a few monthes away from the dust and noise.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
The NICUs I have been in were specially built and have unique room layouts. Like operating rooms is easier to build entirely new ones than move things
Possibly in a smaller hospital than the one that I did some work in does 4-5000 births a year

1 - 20 of 29 Posts