Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just moved into a new house with a shallow well and 1 1/2 HP pump. The problem is, he hears the pump resonate through the whole house when it's on, enough to wake him at night. What's going on? How do you short circuit the noise? Met.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I know exactly what's going on. It's a common mistake that installers of jet pumps often make, and it causes cavitation until the pump gets primed well. See this pic and see if the piping arrangement isn't like one of the bad examples:

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pump, 150 gallon bladder, soft water tank all properly installed. These guys have done hundreds of installs. thanks for the thought MD.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If it's not cavatation, look for bearings or out of balance impeller or trash in the LP side. A pipe resting a thin piece of siding which then acts as a diaphram to transfer movement into noise. And many moons ago, a pin hole leak in the intake side, cause a series of call backs.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Why is the pump running in the middle of the nite, is there water running some where?

If not; check to see if there is a leak in the foot valve/check valve, this would allow water to flow back into the well and causing the pump to run.

The noise, well thats kinda of hard to tell where its coming from without my crystal ball.

Shopdust said it right also, look for possible location where the discharge/draft side come in contact with other building materails, and insulate them from one another.

BJD

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they haven't been back to check out noise yet ... will keep you posted to outcome, thanks for ideas. Met

·
NICKTECH
273 Posts
the noise may not be the problem, just a symptom. I think "shopdust" is right, if the bearing are worn this will cause all sorts of vibration. also, if it isn't a problem with the pump it could be that the pump is installed too rigid and the vibrato is carried thru out the house and then amplified as the wave gets wider, like a ripple in a pond. rubber and cork vibration pads can be used to absorb some other the viration, but a better product is brass braided vibration eliminators installed on both the inlet and outlet of the pump. the pump can literally dance around and the rest of the system won't feel it.

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update

It's fixed. The pump guy wasn't very helpful with any explanation. Seems the impellor was vibrating or so I heard. Met

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
mdshunk, thanks for the info on how not to install a pump. I have two in that condition and the watertable is down. We'll get them fixed up and let you know how we did. Rob..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts