Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent customer has requested we use a no VOC stain on their new deck because his boy has toxicity issues. He's buying the product, it's called Earth Paint. Anyone ever heard of it or used it? High $ stuff, 1000.00 for 8 gallons. I almost laughed when he asked if he can deduct the cost from the stain quote.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,805 Posts
We get similar requests on floors from time to time. I let em know, I'll use whatever product they want to use. More expensive means the price goes up. But if it's a product I'm not familiar with & have time tested, I let them know there's no warranty from us.

Usually those 2 things make them rethink their product & I end up using what I'm confident in.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,591 Posts
He could save a lot of money and just buy linseed oil. Everyone know to get UV protection it HAS to be banned in California.

Seriously though I don't know how "no" voc could penetrate and protect.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,812 Posts
I almost laughed when he asked if he can deduct the cost from the stain quote.
I would have. :whistling

Followed by a "You're kidding me, right?"

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
He could save a lot of money and just buy linseed oil. Everyone know to get UV protection it HAS to be banned in California.

I was thinking the exact same thing. :blink: :whistling

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Look in the MSDS sheet, it has Phenolic Modified Resin (cashew
based). It's the cashews that penetrate and protect it.

I called the Benjamin Moore tech support once and asked if they had any no VOC stain. They said they had never heard of any, he told me if I found some to be leary of it because you need the VOC's in there to make it work. He said with paints, no VOC is easy but with stains and varnishes you need the VOC's in there.

Call Earthpaint and argue with them how it can protect the wood with no VOC's. Let us know what they say, I'm curious. Ask if your customer can get the contractor's price too since you are applying it.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Al, twp Storm Shield is water base.

I have used it before down side it sets up real quick, up side if anything it out preforms the resin base 100 series.

The colors are a little different than the 100 series so test them out.

Toxicity issues.....as if we all don't. Ghesssssssssssssss.

J.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suggested the water based TWP but, the guy did his own research which lead him to the Earth Paint. It will be interesting to see how it does. It's going on a cedar deck.

Far as the price I told the guy if it takes 8 gallons of stain then he can have the cost of 8 gallons off the quote. I also told him no warranty on untested products bought by homeowners.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
That " finish " will actually do very little and foster mold growth.

They are going after a market, not marketing a good product, but selling an idea. It will give the Green Mafia a warm fuzzy but will work in reverse. All other outdoor finish is " poison " what a crock.

Reminds me of the video where the GM convention all signed a petition to ban water.

J.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
deckman22 said:
I suggested the water based TWP but, the guy did his own research which lead him to the Earth Paint. It will be interesting to see how it does. It's going on a cedar deck. Far as the price I told the guy if it takes 8 gallons of stain then he can have the cost of 8 gallons off the quote. I also told him no warranty on untested products bought by homeowners.
That's how I take care of it too when a homeowner supplies their own stuff. Keep in mind it can cost you extra time as well, a lot of things can go wrong, he might not order enough stain then you have to wait for him to order more and come back. Account for that in your proposal if you have to.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Al, twp Storm Shield is water base.

I have used it before down side it sets up real quick, up side if anything it out preforms the resin base 100 series.

The colors are a little different than the 100 series so test them out.

Toxicity issues.....as if we all don't. Ghesssssssssssssss.

J.
Storm Shield is water-based, but like many "water-based" finishes, it's not zero-VOC. If I read the MSDS right, it's about 2 lbs VOC per gallon, which for someone with sensitivities isn't much better than oil-based.

I can't judge people for having those sensitivities - they're real. A friend of mine had a remodel done a couple of years ago, and selected a floor finish. The flooring guy did him a favor and installed what he thought was better. My friend couldn't stay in his place without getting splitting headaches, and the contractor paid for a couple months of hotel stays until the finish stopped out-gassing.

The key is to make sure people understand the trade-offs. Many of the environmentally-friendly finishes don't work worth a darn, compared to the ones that incorporate the last century's worth of chemistry.

I would never warranty a deck stain, anyway. I'll warranty the application, but not the finish itself.

I've had good results with Penofin Verde, which is only 1 gram/liter VOC. It performs about as well as most deck stains; take that as you will.

It's off-topic a little, but I saw an article recently suggesting that we have all these sensitivities and allergies these days because we're no longer an agricultural society - we're not around all the germs and bugs that help make us healthier, if they don't kill us.

Just make sure they understand the trade-offs, and the limits of your warranty and the manufacturer's. That's my approach anyway. In my area I get a lot of requests for green materials.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts