Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to this site and have a ? i was hoping someone would be kind enough to help me with. i am wanting to build new house with no-step entry from garage to main level. my ? is- i have 16" web floor trusses designed and with no step entry, do i notch basement walls so that trusses sit on notch of basement wall. that way trusses are not up against grade/dirt/rock under garage floor. or how do they usually do that? my basement will have 9' walls, so in doing this, i will need 10' 4" - 1 1/2" (treated plate)= 10' 2 1/2" wall with 16" notch for floor trusses to sit on. i was figuring 8" thick wall so notch would be 4". does this seem right to you guys? cant really come up with any other ideas.

does anyone have much experience with these type of designs? any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't know where you are located, but most locales require a gas curb between garage and house. This prevents any fumes from the garage from reaching the living area. Best to check with your local authorities.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Engineer + Simpson catalog = Solution. I'm sorry if that seems unhelpful, but if you're unsure about it the best thing you can do is get some professional help. It's not just a building question, but also an engineering problem that depends onother aspects of your building.

- Bob

·
www.artisticrail.com
52 Posts
mjs97 said:
i am good to go with codes. thanks
We'll if code allows it, which I am not sure is true, most zero clearance garage entry's are built with ramps, not lowering the main level or raising the garage floor.

Fire separation and carbon dioxide protection measures are argued heavy during all code hearings, not sure why one would want it, but pretty simple to accomplish from day one with the architectural design, but lowering an existing simpler to install a ramp

·
Eater of sins.
4,576 Posts
I for one would be interested in finding out how you can get away with not having a min. 6" curb between the garage and the house.
I am not saying that you can't, I have just never seen anything like this in all my years of doing this.

As for the floor trusses, there are designs that are only connected at the top of the truss or, if required can be hung from a ledger on the conc. walls or be hung from a sill on the concrete walls etc.

Which is yours?

Andy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm just looking for some ideas. isn't that what these forums are for? if you don't want to help me, then don't post.

this house isn't being built yet. tossing around ideas, thats why i'm here posting. if i wanted to hire an engineer, i would not have posted here.

thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
... if you don't want to help me, then don't post.
Matt,

Maybe I think my posts will be helpful to someone else thinking about doing the same thing you propose. Maybe I think some part of your post doesn't make sense, and by pushing a little bit you'll clarify things (for example, you don't actually have floor trusses designed, or you're not a contractor, or you're completely unqualified to do the job). You'd be surprised how stories evolve in ways that are material to the question.

Maybe I think the most helpful thing for you to do is talk to a designer or engineer. There's a widespread misconception among people who have never worked with a designer or engineer that it's extraordinarily expensive. It needn't be, and it can be money well spent.

Are you a contractor? I still don't see a post from you in the introductions forum. If you browse the forums and find a thread that you can contribute in that's in your core area (let's assume it's not framing or foundations), contribute some knowledge. It will greatly increase your credibility in this thread.

Where are you located? That helps establish a code and building practices baseline for some of us.

You are "good to go with codes". What does that mean? As some people here haven't heard of the exception that you plan to use, it will be very helpful to the community to hear about it. If you don't explain what you mean, it suggests that you plan to ignore codes or don't know about them, which will reduce your credibility. What's the story?

This is the internet. If you want to have a discussion limited only to what you want to hear, then you should spend some money on a designer.

- Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts