Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i don't know why....our excavating associations can't stop these S.O.B's who are dropping in these shallow utilities from doing this shirt....they drop these wires 3-6' away from each other, gobbling up the right of ways....and expect us to dig around them later.....we can, but why should the property owner pay a HUGE amount of money for us to do this? they have vacuums, they can just as easily find the other utilities and place adjacent to...took us 2 full days to install 130' of pipe....real sweet!

all in all...3-fibers, 1-600 pair, 1-4" gas main.

on edit, i forgot the 12" water main

Attachments

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
wow man that really sucks... i cant belive how close those wires are to the surface... looks like less than 2 ft below right...

·
Structural Engineer
513 Posts
still a lot of clay tile used in jersey?
I haven't installed clay in 11 years, and the last time was in a chemical plant.

When we installed the steam lines, we purposefully broke the clay pipe on the left and replaced the section with cast iron. We begged the engineer to let us do that, because we didn't want steam lines that close to the clay.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
One township here still requires all new construction sewer mains to be clay.

Anyway, I can't belive there was no sand padding or marker tape near those fiber lines. Good job on not ripping them out.

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Yeah we do some crazy digging! This was a residential job. New electrical service to house.
wow that is royally :censored:d up... last time i saw lines like that... was, well actually i dont think ive had it that bad... Hey heres a good question, have any of you guys called for a mark out and started digging and hit something that wasnt supposed to be there:whistling i just recently did... and im wondering what my best course of action is gonna be... it happened yesterday to be exact... and it happened to be one of theose pritty yellow pipes that just end up always being in the wrong place at the wrong time

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
we take pics of the marks/flags before we dig....our state law says if marks are over 18" off....they pay for repair...don't know how your state is

·
Registered
272 Posts
:furious:Here's my fun one for the week.... 8 Separate utilities in the space of about 7-8 feet. 100 pair phone cable, 6'' gas service, 2 phone drops, 4'' high pressure gas that feeds the seed corn plant nearby, 4'' clay tile that the city had no idea was there, water, sewer.... Whatta joy this was(not)

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
is this sort of thing unusual in the states ? maybe its the lack of space over here but the utilites in the above excavations look about normal to what you'd find and hve to dig round over here, in the past i've been asked to "follow" a 33kv cable:eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts