Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this will work, from another board. Not that this ever happens to any here.

From this indian restaurant, lady wants a estimate over the phone. Make a long story short she kept trying to negotiate my price. So finally i say well ill stop in and take a look at it. By the way i told her my very bottom price was $300 and she was telling me $150...hahaha

This is were it gets funny. I go into the restaurant and at the front counter i notice the name of the lady and she was the one i was speaking too over the phone. So not knowing who i was i asked her how much the lunch buffet, she sais $14. So i tell her that was to expensive and i would give her $9...She looked at me like i was crazy..lol She sais NO NO price is $14 So after a couple minutes of trying to negotiate with her on the price i told her i could go down the street and get the chinese buffet for $8..lol She gets mad at me and tells me to go get chinese and that her food is better.

So thats when i told her that i was the hood guy and i was there to give her the estimate for the cleaning. She had such a dumb founded face it was halirious. Thats when i said how does it feel to have a cutomer negotiate your price, she didint know what to say. I ended up giving her a price of $350 and told her to get other estimates. I havent heard back from her yet, i got some much satisfation out of that it was great.

·
Home Builders/Contractors
262 Posts
Awesome :clap::clap::clap:

Indians negotiate everything. Thats how they roll. No sh!t. Whenever I go price out for one I go in $100 higher and then when they start the bullsh!t, I peel it off. Naturally I have fun with it for a while until the curry smell starts to get to me.

Gotta go...see ya.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to make a clarification on my post. First, it is a post by Eric of Appearance Pressure Washing in NY State and VT. He cleans exhaust systems in resturants, a truly nasty filthy job with horrble hours. But he does fine work and cleans to a higher standard than National Fire Protection Association Standard for cleaning exhaust systems.

Second, I am happy to have brought some cheer into your lives.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
freaking excellent. Too tired that we are supposed to bend (we as in US citizens, AMERICAN BORN AND RAISED HERE IN THE US) for other nationalities.. so tired I have to consider what they say yet if I expect the same they tell me I am racist or that I am a biggot. Kudos to Eric.. he makes me proud!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I had one of those calls last night. Lost my temper.

Hate it when I lose my cool. Now the guy is going to pay the STUPID tax. GRRRRR--Mike--

·
Kowboy
2,265 Posts
From a business perspective, it would be wise for all to be sensitive to the cultural differences as to how business is done.

Not to brag, but I get almost all 5 star servicemagic ratings. I got a three from an Indian/Pakistani guy because he thought we should negotiate after completion. In hindsight, I would have handled things differently.

Kowboy

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Metro -

That is if your agreement was complete and descriptive along with the price and terms - very important with some groups but not important if they recognize you are accurate and professional, they you will be get paid very quickly and get good references. - Ethnic groups are insecure in a new country, but will be open about respect and truthfulness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts