Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Not surprising.

I tried to buy a new one back in April. I wanted the largest one, fully decked out, as a chase vehicle for my balloon. I was expecting to pay around $100,000. The local Dodge dealer was uninterested in talking about it, they didn't sell them.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have a frieghtliner sprinter(same as dodge just different grill and emblems)

They are more stable than a box truck or isuzu, the older sprinter duallys 3500s have a low center of gravity, mines goin on 5 yrs and at 20 miles per gallon+ i have no complaints!!:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
I'm happily getting 19.5mpg and fitting 16' stock in my 08 :thumbup:. thom, for $100k you would be looking at a fully decked out high end limo sprinter...you can get a cargo version for the upper 30's new or 1-2yrs old for 25-33k depending on mileage.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm happily getting 19.5mpg and fitting 16' stock in my 08 :thumbup:. thom, for $100k you would be looking at a fully decked out high end limo sprinter...you can get a cargo version for the upper 30's new or 1-2yrs old for 25-33k depending on mileage.
did you get the gas or diesel?, I got '05 158" tall and get 24:thumbup:
the one gripe i doo have is the things goes through bulbs like crack addict, driving down the road and see a padiddle, that's me, always got lights out:censored:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
It was only a matter of time before this happend. More people moving away from trucks and into vans. The UK if full of Sprinters, Vito's, Transits and so on. They work well in the UK because of the lack of room on the roads but you still cant beat a truck and trailer. Couldnt go back to a van now.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
did you get the gas or diesel?, I got '05 158" tall and get 24:thumbup:
the one gripe i doo have is the things goes through bulbs like crack addict, driving down the road and see a padiddle, that's me, always got lights out:censored:
some of the NCV3 owners are complaining about the speed at which they go through bulbs-my lights are programmed to be on 100% of the time...no problems yet. the older body style definitely gets better fuel mileage, but I'm coming from 9.5mpg and extremly happy w/ 20mpg.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
That looks nice but doesn't work for a balloon chase vehicle. We need seats for 9 (minimum) plus lots of storage, weight capacity, and lift capacity.

What I did was:
E350 Wagon extended (seats 15)
Remove rear seat (4 butt-er) for balloon envelope and inflator fan
Install hydraulic rear lift gate (the gondola rides on the lift gate)
Install Dual Rear Wheels
Install Air Bag suspension assist
Install Leather upgrade front seats (the factory seats suck)
Install new radio with rear view camera screen
Install notebook pc rack connected to gps and gps receiver from balloon

I'm working towards getting the graphics wrap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 08 3500 with 20k miles, best vehicle I have ever own in business. I carry around 5k in tools and it rides real nice I only get 17-20 with the V6, trading for a low mileage 06, as maintenance on the V6 in more. I also eat front tires up with the 3500, I will be getting a 2500 this time. Know where I can find one??

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The 3500 is the great in snow, but from what i hear from others the 2500 slips alot more:whistling

i just put 6 new tires on mine, i got 52000 miles out of the first set, hop the this set lasts as long, i replaced them with the same continentals that it came with, got a great tire place here by my house, $825 6 brand new tires mounted and balanced,old tires disposed!!:thumbsup:

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
tire price-I picked up a set of 4 for the chevy DRW-$525 for a nothing special no name LT tire. The 1 Good year commercial tire on the sprinter was had for $260 :eek:

are you driving a 2500 or 3500 Bonesaw?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
thats another reason i like the 3500, the tires are 15 so they are cheap even the name brands,:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I just replaced both bulbs at 17k miles and noticed when I did that one had already been replaced.

I've never had to replace a headlight before in my life so I was pretty stunned.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
72, got the 2500, the 3500 is a sweet ride, but rough as hell being a dually and all. I hear ya on the tires, replaced all 4 bout a year ago hd m+s was like $1100:sad:
the bulb issue really irks me though, everything on my van that emits light has been replaced at least 3x over, headlights fuggettaboutit,
I did pull the fuse under the steering to kill the fulltime headlights though, doesnt seem to make a difference
one other thing that irks me too is the contacts on the side cargo door constantly need to be cleaned or open circuit causes the keyless entry to screw up

1 - 20 of 24 Posts