Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, at least I'm hoping. After YEARS of waking up sore, partially from aches and partially from a crap mattress, I have finally talked the woman into buying a good mattress. I have been doing research about them for almost 2 years. Bottom line is you need to use as firm of a mattress as you can handle for support.

My dilemma was a firm innerspring mattress just wasn't comfortable and a soft foam mattress wasn't supportive enough. Well this year Stearns and Foster came up with what I believe is the marriage between the two. An innerspring mattress with foam built in. I finally came to understand technology and engineering are just as important in a mattress as say a car or power saw.

I should be receiving the new mattress in a week. Although I do have some reservations, I am excited. 4 kinds of foam, individually wrapped double coils, fully supported edges, covered in cashmere.....:thumbup:
I'll post my initial reviews after a few nights and then something a little more long term. Maybe my pains will subside, some????

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Good luck with that. :thumbsup:
Don't think that would have prevented
my current back problems though.
Lifting someone who weighs half again
as much as you do can cause some hurt. :sad:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,816 Posts
Lifting someone who weighs half again
as much as you do can cause some hurt. :sad:
I hear that. They usually don't come with the right handles to balance the load properly. Still hangin' in there, though? :thumbsup:

As for mattresses, for some reason I've never had quite enough incentive to go for anything fancy. I just shove a hunk of plywood under mine.

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for mattresses, for some reason I've never had quite enough incentive to go for anything fancy. I just shove a hunk of plywood under mine.
I've been right there with ya. But enough is enough. I didn't work much this week taken care of the little woman after surgery so I can't blame me working on concrete for 8 hours for any pain that I've had. This morning was insane how bad my back hurt. After the woman's pain this week, she was complaining too. We spent about 4 hours trying out mattresses (not like that ;)) and I can't believe the difference in them. Most of the $600 ones felt like chit.

Without worrying about price, we came up with our favorite. :eek: $3500 retail :eek:.

After comparison shopping, we got it for $1300. Considering we've spent about $1000 on multiple mattresses over the past 10 years, this doesn't seem so bad. It has a no questions asked, non-prorated 10 year warranty. I'm hoping it does the trick!

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
Once you sleep on a quality mattress you wil never go back, I have a denver mattress knock off of the pillow top stearns and foster, I can go to bed sore and wake up not sore from work.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I bought one 3 years ago with the foam and springs like you are decribing it was $1200. The matress was beyond great the first two years then the springs started to sag and the foam is still good. Now it is a pos that we keep saying we will replace. Thinking of the sleep number has any one tried it? sorry hijack.

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought one 3 years ago with the foam and springs like you are decribing it was $1200. The matress was beyond great the first two years then the springs started to sag and the foam is still good. Now it is a pos that we keep saying we will replace. Thinking of the sleep number has any one tried it? sorry hijack.
Not at all a hijack. I've been so sore over the past few years just from sleeping, I've had it and hope that my new mattress will help and this can be informative to anyone else that is in the same boat.

Regardless of cost, a mattress MUST be a good quality one. I've tried 2 knock-offs in the past 10 years and they SUCKED. Not saying all knock-offs are bad. I just tried to be cheap....didn't work.

Make sure any mattress you purchase has both a few week return policy if you don't like it after actually sleeping on it AND an extensive warranty. Any mattress with only a 2 or 3 year warranty or one that is prorated after a few years would be suspect to me.

As for the sleep number bed (air), I didn't like it for one reason; I call it the balloon effect. Since it's air, when you put pressure on it, you have to move the displaced air to another location. Think of a balloon on a table and press down on it with your hand. You depress the area under your hand but that pressure is pushed to other areas of the balloon or mattress, if you will. Don't get me wrong, I hear a lot of good things about it but no salesperson ever had a good reply to my "balloon" question. I didn't feel it was that comfortable to me. By all means though, I would say to try it. I personally didn't like it.

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So they didn't ask what you do for a living before giving you that warranty? :laughing:
Actually, since I didn't buy a boxspring, they did write down that I have a platform bed. If they ever come to look at a warranty claim and it's not the bed I stated, I could lose the warranty.

Actually, my bed is very similar to this but a tad bit taller. Mattress sits right on the floor.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Make sure and read the warranty, I returned my mattress because it was sagging, they came out put a straight edge over it and it was over 2" so I was covered.
Same thing happened to my brother that bought his at a discount place with a 10 yr warranty and there's read it had to be sagging 5". :thumbsup:
My back hurts every morning unless I do a few back exercises before bed.

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let's go visit Molly tomorrow!
I'll have to see. Working tomorrow and then taking the daughter to the show for an excellent report card. All depends on what time I get outta work. Just need to lay 350 sq ft of Ditra and prefill. I'm assuming under 4 hours but you just never know.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
I'll have to see. Working tomorrow and then taking the daughter to the show for an excellent report card. All depends on what time I get outta work. Just need to lay 350 sq ft of Ditra and prefill. I'm assuming under 4 hours but you just never know.
:phone: tomorrow when you know-possible :drink:

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Not at all a hijack. I've been so sore over the past few years just from sleeping, I've had it and hope that my new mattress will help and this can be informative to anyone else that is in the same boat.

Regardless of cost, a mattress MUST be a good quality one. I've tried 2 knock-offs in the past 10 years and they SUCKED. Not saying all knock-offs are bad. I just tried to be cheap....didn't work.

Make sure any mattress you purchase has both a few week return policy if you don't like it after actually sleeping on it AND an extensive warranty. Any mattress with only a 2 or 3 year warranty or one that is prorated after a few years would be suspect to me.

As for the sleep number bed (air), I didn't like it for one reason; I call it the balloon effect. Since it's air, when you put pressure on it, you have to move the displaced air to another location. Think of a balloon on a table and press down on it with your hand. You depress the area under your hand but that pressure is pushed to other areas of the balloon or mattress, if you will. Don't get me wrong, I hear a lot of good things about it but no salesperson ever had a good reply to my "balloon" question. I didn't feel it was that comfortable to me. By all means though, I would say to try it. I personally didn't like it.
I assumed it was chambered not a ballon affect. Good analogy.

Yeah my matress is still covered under the warrenty but it has put a bad taste in my mouth for this brand. This was there top shelf line there is no room for better with them.

Hope you like yours a good night sleep is priceless.

·
Registered
996 Posts
They must really have faith in there product to give you 10 years and 1 1/2 inch. Maybe they figure with your bad back you won't be putting it through its paces to often.
:laughing::laughing:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts