Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my friends house across town. He lives in an established subdivision where builders are filling in the remaining lots. I saw 3 houses with siding over uncovered OSB. These are 3-400k homes!
Someone please fill me in here. I'm not in any way trying to bash another builder. I honestly want information.
All I can come up with is maybe there is a new spray foam insulation which cannot have a exterior vapor barrier\house wrap\ felt\ whatever.
I dont get it.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
totes said:
Went to my friends house across town. He lives in an established subdivision where builders are filling in the remaining lots. I saw 3 houses with siding over uncovered OSB. These are 3-400k homes! Someone please fill me in here. I'm not in any way trying to bash another builder. I honestly want information. All I can come up with is maybe there is a new spray foam insulation which cannot have a exterior vapor barrier\house wrap\ felt\ whatever. I dont get it.
It's code here to use a wrb like Tyvek. No siding manufacturer will have any warranty without it. That's just wrong!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, you guys are right there with me. I was worried there was a new trend I didn't know about.
At least the dryer vent looks good....:no:

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,049 Posts
Real dumb IMO, but see it all the time here on garages and gables of houses.:blink: Hardi along with most siding is not water proof. Waiting for the day when this comes back and bits them in the back side with rot and mold.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
All City said:
That looks like a water management problem not a type of siding problem.
What i was getting at is behind that house wrap is disintegrated osb. The house wrap didnt offer much protection

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Real dumb IMO, but see it all the time here on garages and gables of houses.:blink: Hardi along with most siding is not water proof. Waiting for the day when this comes back and bits them in the back side with rot and mold.
But why? !! Felt or wrap is far cheaper than a callback or shoddy reputation. House wrap is dirt cheap, at least in the scheme of things. If solid surface counter tops and 2.5 baths are in the budget........???

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
totes said:
But why? !! Felt or wrap is far cheaper than a callback or shoddy reputation. House wrap is dirt cheap, at least in the scheme of things. If solid surface counter tops and 2.5 baths are in the budget........???
Those are the builders that gives the whole trade a bad name.

·
Registered
132 Posts
totes said:
Ignorance

·
Registered
358 Posts
I wont name names, but there was a new development of a few hundred town homes put up near me a few years ago. each and every one of them had hardie installed improperly and all had to be replaced.

I think hardie footed the bill on the materials, but the new home owners had to handle the installation costs.

It was really sad for everyone invloved. :sad:

·
Eater of sins.
4,710 Posts
Went to my friends house across town. He lives in an established subdivision where builders are filling in the remaining lots. I saw 3 houses with siding over uncovered OSB. These are 3-400k homes!
Someone please fill me in here. I'm not in any way trying to bash another builder. I honestly want information.
All I can come up with is maybe there is a new spray foam insulation which cannot have a exterior vapor barrier\house wrap\ felt\ whatever.
I dont get it.

Where are you located anyway?
I don't want your home address but a city might be nice or a county in a state would do if it is not too big a county.
Why the hell does it seem as if some posters are afraid to give out their friggin location?
Is it some big dark secrete or just an embarrassment? WTF?

Andy.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am located in Bend Oregon, where this picture was taken. I work in Portland as well.
I'm not trying to hide my location, I just joined the site, and am still figuring out the details of creating a profile, ect.
Next time I post I will be sure to add more specific content.
Cheers

·
Phd
85 Posts
We had a major tornado here in Hattiesburg in February, of this year.
One of the hard hit areas was a development of town houses.

The houses were brick veneer on the lower level, and vinyl siding on the second floor. Behind the vinyl siding there was OSB on the corners of the structure, but then there was nothing but R board on the rest of the wall.

I was shocked when I saw it. The only thing between the occupants and the outdoors was sheetrock, insulation, R board and thin a$$ vinyl siding.

Needless to say, these structures didn't fair well in the tornado.
I had a picture on my phone, but must have deleted it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I live in Bend as well, and think I know who the builder is. Sad.

Just noticed that there is housewrap on the wall in the background of the picture. Seems to be laziness and/or ignorance.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts