Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shower/Tub remodel. Cut out the old galvanized and went with copper. The new exchange takes both the h&c cold water and mixes them. When finished installing, the cold water works great, but the hot just dribbles out. I have taken out the water stops and blown them out with air as I thought there may be debris from the old galvanized pipes in there.

I know the hot water is flowing freely as the pipes get warm and with the stop removed the water shoots out the stop.

Any ideas and remedies?

Rich

·
Registered
295 Posts
Rich Turley said:
Shower/Tub remodel. Cut out the old galvanized and went with copper. The new exchange takes both the h&c cold water and mixes them. When finished installing, the cold water works great, but the hot just dribbles out. I have taken out the water stops and blown them out with air as I thought there may be debris from the old galvanized pipes in there.

I know the hot water is flowing freely as the pipes get warm and with the stop removed the water shoots out the stop.

Any ideas and remedies?

Rich
You flushed the stops out but, did you flush out the tub/shower (mixing) valve? Pull the cartridge or spindle out and turn the water on for a short blast and see if this helps.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Rich Turley said:

Any ideas and remedies?

Rich

First I was thinking 'air-lock', but I guess by 'stops' you mean either the bleeder valves or the integral stops - - anyway, - - did you pull out and re-adjust the 'limiter' behind the shower handle?? You probably need to pull it out, turn it clockwise, and put it back in, - - it's kind of a trial-and-error method to adjust for how hot.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Is it possible hot water supply could be restricted ,galvanized pipe is famous for its ability to rust and clog. I assume you did not remove all of the galv. but tied in your new pipeing at some point.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like Plumbguy might have it, I didn't clean out the mixer. I'll try that tomorrow. The hot water is flowing as it blasts out if I remove the stop.

Thanks,
Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts