Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goodman furnace quit running. It would try to start but wasn't getting any gas. Fan kicked on, ignitor glowed but no gas.

What ended up working was I shut off the gas valve, ran thru a cycle of three start attempts, then turned the gas back on....fired right up.

Can anybody make sense as to why this worked? It was cold today, around zero deg. F.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Gas valve sticking sometimes a few wacks from a screwdriver handle frees it up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a goodman and mine glowed upon demand this morning but hesitated to ignite. Finally it did with a big woof as it ignited. No more problems. It was well below 0 last night here too

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I too have problems with my gas pack over these coldest weeks. Did a bit of testing and diag. Working fine now.

What fault did your board indicate ? The flashing light.

HVAC is my weakest area. I took the crash course using the www to get a better understanding of my furnace.

Here's the best guy on the web - start here and view his vids. They are done quite well. Search his channel for Goodman.
http://youtu.be/DeDjviDkYTw

His site (stick with his YT if you ask me) troubleshooting Goodman
http://www.grayfurnaceman.com/troubleshoot-by-furnace-manufacturer-goodman.html

Thanks also to Flash Heating here --for throwing me a bone or two. I know we're not supposed to do too much diag on the site.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
My upstairs unit AC went out. Control board pin connector broke / loose. Got a board on Ebay $30. Just a note, that's all.

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
My wife called me today when I was meeting with a client. Said our furnace would not restart. We have had some issues with it in recent weeks with the code blinky tempermental thing, so I figured it was just that. She texted again saying that the stove was not working now. She called the gas company who came out immediately and replaced a limiter valve on the main line. They said that a lot of failures have occurred in recent weeks with the cold.

·
Access Heating & Air
82 Posts
Most likely a bad control module

My light was fine...no blinking

unit is about 10 years
Most 6-12 year old Goodmans have failures with their control boards. Could be a stuck gas valve but I would guess the board first. What voltage did you have at the gas valve?

Access Heating Blog

1 - 11 of 11 Posts