Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently spoke to another contractor who suggested that the idea behind the no glue vinyl was that it was thicker and had more foam and since it was not adhered it could be placed over floors without having to worry about telegraphing and not having to emboss the existing floor first like with the adhesive. Does anyone else have experience with this? Sounds really too good to be true and a bit of a risk. Of course the manufacturers instructions do recommend embossing leveler first.

Also another industry-ite suggested the loose lay floor was less durable. Anybody been using the loose lay stuff. Which do you prefer (loose or adhesive) and why?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
There used to be much more manufacturing of a vinyl called perimeter spread. It has a flexable backing and not a fiber backing. There are still some vinyls like this like Armstrong's Successor, and these vinyls are perimeter spread ONLY. They are used alot for apartments because when it comes time to replace, then there is little glue.
A ton of fiber vinyls can be perimeter spread even though they are fiber backed, so that has diminished the need for the flex backed products.
Yes it does help with telegraphing a bit, but embossing leveler should still be used.
Loose laying the floor will improve the chances of a fridge damaging the vinyl during moving a bit, but for other durability questions (like dropping a can of beans) it really doesn't change the durability.
Bob Vila perimeter spreads all his vinyl from what I have seen. It's a personal choice I guess.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Love it!!!!

I rarley full spread vinyl anymore. Small areas yes but anyting bigger than a bathroom gets a 3 inch band of glue around the perimeter. Around all vent and in front of appliances. Leave room for expansion.

Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts