·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
brm1109
392 Posts
need lic.

Yes you need a home improvement contractors license for any residential work in NJ. Also it could take up to 3 months to get the license since they are backed up.
Rich B.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Ya- I think I'll just do it. We just did PA and the requirements look the same so it's not a big deal.
I just hate to have to change business cards, letterhead, etc - if I don't need to.

Call and ask? If you are registered in PA they may be ok with that..I know there were places in PA that requiered registration before the state wide requirement and they accepted my NJ registration.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Unless something's changed recently, - - the homeowner pulling the permits simply means he's taking responsibility for whoever's doing the job.

My cousin just did it (on his own addition) last summer and the inspectors were well aware he subbed most of it out.

I don't happen to have any permit paperwork laying around right now, - - but I believe it spells it out pretty clearly on the back of the folder where the final signatures go.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Unless something's changed recently, - - the homeowner pulling the permits simply means he's taking responsibility for whoever's doing the job.

I sit corrected [to some degree]....a quick Google search yielded this:
CAN I DO THE WORK MYSELF?
  • Carpenters do not have to be licensed in New Jersey, however, Plumbers, Electricians and Fire Alarm contractors are required to have a State License.

Homeowners of an owner-occupied single family home may do their own work. They may not have a friend, relative or neighbor do the plumbing or electrical work; the homeowner must personally do the work.
    A PERMIT IS STILL REQUIRED FROM THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT.

Any other structure, including owner-occupied two family homes, require all plumbing and electrical work be performed by NJ Licensed contractors.
http://www.ridgefieldpark.org/buildingdept.html

Not exactly a "State" site...but good enough :thumbsup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
CAN I DO THE WORK MYSELF?
  • Carpenters do not have to be licensed in New Jersey, Really?
Really. It is not a license, it is a registration. It also eliminates municipalities from requiring a merchantile license. I actually save a couple hundred a year.A NJ builders license is another animal altogether.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts