Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a NJ Home Builders License Question
How does the 10% warranty work with homeowner?
How does the builder register the house for the HO?
Doesn’t the HO and builder fill out a form to file with the state?
Who makes the payment to the state?
I don’t have a builders license, I have a NJ Home Improvement Contractors License, so I don’t know the ins and outs
I did an estimate on a new frame about 2 months ago, met with the HO talked pricing, showed them some mistakes the architect made, etc.
I get a call today from the HO in a desperate cry, HELP ME!!:whistling
They decided to go with another company who promised the world and couldn’t deliver.
This company never signed a contract with HO, did not fill out a warranty form with the state, and totally screwed up the open deck.
I found a few costly mistakes which the whole deck will have to be removed::jester:
No termite and sill seal under sill plate
Sill plate not breaking 12” from bolts
Non use of ACQ material on steel beams
Steel beam not bolted anywhere to foundation
No web backer inside steel beam to stop beams from moving, not to mention this provides a sheetrock nailer in the basement.
I got myself a nice 4000 SQft project to keep me busy for awhile:thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Before moving forward with this deal, you might want to get an opinion from an attorney that you're not building a new home without the needed HOW registration on your part. Your downside exposure will be pretty steep if a problem comes up later, and the regulatory requirements weren't satisfied.

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is the GC, now the HO is giving him the boot and GCing the job themselves, with my help, so I thought
Just found out that they passed open deck inspection, how I have no idea
There were a few other problems I picked out that the HO had the contractor fix, besides the one I previously posted. Sounds like I just gave them a freebee.
Joke will be on them

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
if the gc filed for the permits, he would have had to been a registered builder (assuming this is new construction and not a reno or addy) if he gets thrown out or got permits somehow without a builders reg, then the house will not get a CO until proof of warrenty is shown from state or third party. i have heard of this happening and the HO had to get the builders lic. and bond the warrenty.

my experiance is don't be a hero... let them clean up their own mess... as good as you have been to them, they only say thanks for the information! we are only as valuable as what we know, and the moment we share this info we are worthless... like learning how the magician did his tricks when you were a kid...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts