Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Stone Harbor, New Jersey, a two-story deck structure failed catastrophically while real estate agent was showing the home to a prospective buyer.
Both floors collapsed simultaneous... It went down so quick they had no time to escape and everything came crashing down on Realtor and prospective home-buyers... I guess someone will own the house now and someone who build the deck will pay for it if they still around.

Here is the whole story

Attachments

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Wonder if that was pre-Sandy deck? If so they can claim unseen damage by the storm.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wonder if that was pre-Sandy deck? If so they can claim unseen damage by the storm.
They can try, unless they determine that the construction was hacked up, or there is no building permit... Insurance company will say if this is the case we not paying nothing and someone will have a major headache.

If its a legitimate case, than there is nothing to worry about.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see a ledger at all on the first floor... there is not even a sign of
tar-paper or tyvek there, it looks like OSB sheeting. I also don't see any beam hangers on the second floor...It looks like everything was painted and you only see joist outline on the ledger.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looked at one yesterday, the homeowner thought her 4X4 post where sinking. Turns out, no beams, 2x8 joists barely hanging on with some screws and resting on some 2x2's. One band was held on by a single screw. This was also a trex deck and they screwed the top of every single plank.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
How bad were the people injured? I sure hope not very badly!

I gotta say that you folks that can look at the picture and determine much at all about the ledger have waaaaay better eyes than I do. I can hardly tell anything at all (too small and too grainy when I zoom in on the pic). I guess I need some glasses.:cool2:

Edited to say: sorry, I didn't see the link Greg provided. I suppose this confirms I really do need glasses!

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
jesus, thats not good, last fall several decks on townhouses collapsed here in town, it made national news.. they were only like 5 years old,

the city passed all of them at the time of construction but after the collapse investigation it showed that the ledgers were air spiked on over top of the vinyl siding.. no bolts or anything.. half of them had severe rot in the rim board of the floor system

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Most of the decks built today are built to withstand a keg party. Most just get occasional use by a couple of people, seasonally. So we easily see years of service from something built like crap until.....the day comes.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
In Stone Harbor, New Jersey, a two-story deck structure failed catastrophically while real estate agent was showing the home to a prospective buyer.
Both floors collapsed simultaneous... It went down so quick they had no time to escape and everything came crashing down on Realtor and prospective home-buyers... I guess someone will own the house now and someone who build the deck will pay for it if they still around.

Here is the whole story
It would be nice time to inspect the twin. I wouldn't be walking on that thing any time soon.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Stone Harbor is a very desired town to live in also, That house if 2 units is at least $600k per unit maybe more.

Many of my customers have home at the beach and I have done a few jobs down there and realized inspections are very different for in town builders and out of town builders.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Stone Harbor is a very desired town to live in also, That house if 2 units is at least $600k per unit maybe more.

Many of my customers have home at the beach and I have done a few jobs down there and realized inspections are very different for in town builders and out of town builders.
Yep, can easily pay a million for a mushroom down there :laughing:

Then again, seems like every other sub-division of Mcmushrooms around here sell for the same and then you gotta dump another mill into them :clap:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts