Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use them?

I keep a box of 5mil in the truck, I have gotten used to using them for painting, mechanic work and other odd stuff. They will tear though so I was considering getting a thick mil. They make an 8mil but wwas wondering if they become too cumbersome.

·
Registered
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That doesnt help Tom.....you should try to remember to use them. I dont know about you but my woman gives me grief for ruining all of my good cloths. I cant visit family or friends without ending up getting a bit dirty . The gloves help with greasy, wet stuff. There never is a good hand cleaner around when you need it and dirty hands get on good cloths.

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
Wasn't meant to help, just pointing out my stupidity over certain things. I've gone without using gloves for so long I figure I'd give them a try. Just have not been able to get past the old habit.

I do keep good hand cleaner with me at all times, another old habit.

Good cloths, what are those?

I have some work coming up that the gloves would be of use on, I'll make sure I use them and get back to you.

Tom

·
Registered
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your old habit is my bad habit, I keep handcleaner in the garage but never the truck. I have to break that one.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I keep a costco box in the truck, they are good for not leaving fingerprints on speaker grills and ceiling tiles.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
I like the 8 mil latex gloves. Never was a fan of nitrile..

·
Registered
635 Posts
I just started using the thin ones a few month ago after seeing a plumber use them. Have used them a lot for tiling and painting. I hate painting.

·
Registered
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ones Ive been using were Harbor frieght 5 mil. I find myself grabbing them more often so I was wondering about the 8 mil. I didnt pay attention as to whether or not their powdered. I assume not since there is no chaulking.

·
manipulator of wood
835 Posts
I use them for grouting mostly. and when doing plumbing. my hands are 60 grit already. add the grouting and they start to bleed. got so bad my kids wouldn't touch my hands. they say that my hands are broken!

·
Registered
658 Posts
The thicker gloves aren't to thick to feel most things. I use different mil gloves depending on what I'm doing. If the thin ones are splitting more then you thing the should you need the next size up. If you're tearing the fingertips from hard work then thicker is needed.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Yes, I use them all the time for lots of different things. (Harbor Freight #37052 style)

I got tired of having cracked/split/dry fingers all winter long. They don't stop that completely, but go a long way to lessen it.

Also as was mentioned above, they do really help keep your hands warmer when used under a regular pair of winter gloves.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,472 Posts
I use the Nitrile gloves that are 6 mil. I get them at NAPA, just because they are right around the corner from me. They are the black ones.

I use them mostly when applying stains and during the finishing process. They make me sweat a lot though. I get sweat puddles inside the gloves.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thickest ones HF sells, 10 mil maybe? They have a longer wrist. No real dexterity problems and they hold up pretty good. +1 on using them under other gloves. Your hands might sweat but they will be warm!

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I have used them all and have found that the ones that my wife's boss uses are the best. They are latex and are medical grade, so they don't tear or break. I still keep a box of nitriles for caulking. Seems that the latex gloves don't tool the caulk very well. Nitrile with a little water make a nice and smooth bead.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I use the Ndex-plus from a safety supply house. Super thick nitrile. Love em. Also use the Tub-o-towels to clean up everything from hands to parts tools and lots. Cleans well without being harsh on most surfaces.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts