Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure why, maybe because I thought it was easy, or the fact that I was too busy to oversee the final review of the project before executing.

Usually we don't touch things under 80k projects. This particular one, $7k.

Scope of Work:

- Replace an existing sub-panel, same place, same location
- Install new dedicated 110v circuit for an added electric, ventless washer/dryer setup
- Connect new washer drain to existing adjacent vanity sink
- Patch drywall and paint

From the moment of discussing the project, this client was a total b*tch. Evil, out to get ahead b*tch. Alpha female, yelled at her husband to shut up asking him why is he commenting during the initial walk kind of b*tch.

BUT...I still agreed to do it.

Long story short, we couldnt connect to the approved vanity sink location. We offered to open the floor tile and connect to the toilet waste bend, NO CHARGE.

So after a few failed inspections, she went on her own and hired a commercial plumber who was able to connect to the waste bend citing a code that even the inspector has never seen nor heard of, and he passed it. She paid that plumber 2k, fine, even though I didnt agree before him being called, whatever just pay me the difference.

Now she claims she isnt happy with the work, aka the patchback, the tile and grout, woudn't let us back in to fix it.She claims she asked another electrician stating that we did her electrical wrong, saying that it should be TWO dedicated circuits for her w/d units. Saying that we would do that in the contract when it clearly says NO NEW CIRCUITS FOR NEW SUBPANEL OTHER THAN THE NEW DEDICATED CIRCUIT for w/d. Not CIRCUITS.

So we agreed to settle for half the balance, but she wanted a deductive c/o. Fine. But I wanted an addendum stating we aren't liable for the sewer connection which she wont sign.

So...I plan to

1) Call the HOA and tell them I didnt do the work and they did it under my permit without my permission and it wasnt installed at their approved location
2) I emailed the inspector requesting what he passed them on since I didnt do the work, but he hasnt replied but has read my email, I know from my tracker attached to the email.
3) Now I plan calling the building department to notify them.

What do you guys suggest?

For me I could care less about the money. We do multiple 7 figures annually, my business partner is an attorney, and we have a network of attorneys at my disposal, which have communicated with her about the c/o and addendum. I told her to have her said "attorney" contact mine, but she never has them communicate, its always from her.

I just want to stick it to her. Thoughts?

BTW I have done over 200 homes in LA since 2015 and never had issues. I have done over 50 client projects, and only 1 client I didnt not become friends with and now her.

I know it comes with the territory but like I said, I just want to stick it to this little b*tch.

BTW she was bragging to my PM on the initial walk about getting what she wants and how she got money refunded from her moving company due to her not being happy. :laughing:

TIA all for your thoughts and input.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I just want to stick it to her. Thoughts?

Walk away. You're putting pride over pennies and worse giving a problem child attention, she wants, with any of your time. How much is your time worth and how much is your personal time worth fretting over some miserable narcissist. These people usually are. They seem to thrive on the negative attention and really enjoy being the victim. Your absence from thier world will piss em off more than giving what they are looking for.

·
Registered
Custom
12,564 Posts
Have to assume you're mostly just venting here... I say that because you have an attorney as a partner and a network of attorneys at your disposal who have access to the relevant facts and details of your contract (which we have to assume is iron-clad since you have an attorney as a partner) and you're asking us what to do without the same?

From what you've posted, sounds to me like she is leveraging a combination of your non-performance, failed inspections, your willingness to let another contractor(s) on the job without enforcing your rights on that matter, and her "not being happy" to get you to tacitly agree to "settle" with you for said issues, which can be construed as an admission of liability to your position...

Now, she's decided to make you chase her for the money as she kicks you to the curb... Seems like you have a choice... use the attorneys (you have at your disposal) to do as HDavis suggested or move on...

We can't make that choice for you...

But for perspective, we have a poster on here who's been chasing $4500 from a customer who screwed him FOR YEARS, and he's not even an attorney or has the ability to hire one, never mind one as a partner... you only have so much time on this earth...

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Publish her NAME and ADDRESS to the local contracting community as a Toxic customer, and LET GO and let God deal with Her.

Don't forget to send Her the 1099s for the "free" stuff.....

·
Kowboy
1,855 Posts
"BTW she was bragging to my PM on the initial walk about getting what she wants and how she got money refunded from her moving company due to her not being happy."

Anytime you get a potential to mention or brag about a dispute with another contractor, move on immediately. I thought I had a sink change sold, but as I'm leaving the potential client started telling me about his $90,000.00 dispute with his insurance company over his roof. The guy was a total PIA and I never did any work for him.

A guy called the magazine I advertise in to complain about my down payment policy. I visited and told him I'd do his job no money down. Great customer, very satisfied, not only paid in full, but tipped me and my employee 20 bucks.

He was a challenge I couldn't refuse. I loved calling the magazine back to tell them I completed his job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts