Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for specific brands and styles of shirt you could recommend. For some one speaking on behalf of my company and on behalf of all contractors. So I want to look more professional than or current t shirt and sweatshirt.

I know most people will say polo, but I have full sleeve of tattoos. Would like something long sleeve but not too hot.

Cole

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I'd go with a canvas button-down. It looks professional but fits peoples expectations of a contractor. LL Bean and Lands End are two good companies.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68855?feat=504190-GN2&page=sunwashed-canvas-shirt-traditional-fit

It might sound dumb but just look at what the hosts on the HGTV shows wear. There's some pretty serious thinking that goes into "How do I make this guy look like a contractor that people trust?" on commercial television. Everybody thinks this guy knows what he's talking about for some reason.

·
Registered
358 Posts
For estimates I wear long sleeve gildan dress shirts. I had them embroidered with my company logo right above the pocket.

I've had good luck with them.

Gildan tee shirts shrink really quickly but these have been alright...

·
Registered
493 Posts
They also make long sleeve cool max polos, so that would probably fit your requirements of long sleeve, professional, and not too hot. Just curious, what do you do during the summer if working outside?

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

The current t shirts are gilden and I agree the shrink a whole lot.

This isn't necessarily for estimates this is for board meetings with billion dollar companies.

Cole

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
This isn't necessarily for estimates this is for board meetings with billion dollar companies.

Cole
A button down and jacket. Why would you wear a polo shirt to a board meeting?

I get that stuff at Banana Republic because it fits me perfectly right off the shelf and the prices are really good when they're on sale. I'm tall and skinny so it might not work for you.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A button down and jacket. Why would you wear a polo shirt to a board meeting?

I get that stuff at Banana Republic because it fits me perfectly right off the shelf and the prices are really good when they're on sale. I'm tall and skinny so it might not work for you.
I was going to throw a jacket over the shirt. That's why I said not so hot. I didn't want to loose the contractor "look" either.

I'm 6'4" and 205 pounds tall and skinny.

Thanks for the help guys this is all new to me. Maybe I'm reading to much into image.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Maybe I'm reading to much into image.
:no:

Image is the most important factor you have for selling and reputation. If you think for a few seconds I bet you could name a hundred people who are known for being crappy people but everyone loves them because of their image.

Your image is your work, your marketing material, your customer reviews and your personal presentation. They are all very important. The first impression is the most important but the others need to maintain that first impression.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I like the Under Armor type cloth. Long sleeves are comfortable I wear them with shorts as its cool in the morning here even in the summertime.

I'm also tall- those button ups last me one or two washeds and they don't stay tucked in any more and I feel like a slob.

I'd like to get ink up my arms as well- but it doesn't mix well with many customers, mine are all hidden behind polos.

·
Super Moderator
27,725 Posts
I wear the same thing everyday primarily. Jeans, Ariat work boots, and a plaid button down or company polo, company ball cap. I work in those clothes, sell, run board meeetings at the HBA or Chamber, everything except framing in summer, or forming. Company T shirt.

If it is high end like your saying, new jeans, ostrich Luchesses, suit shirt and a blazer, lose the ball cap. I wore that to sell a TI to a law firm in Austin a few years ago, twice a year to the state builders association board meeting at the Driskill hotel. Usually on Valentines day when I take my wife to a nice restaurant. Maybe three times a year. Otherwise its my everyday garb.

I buy the shirts at Bealls usually since tractor supply doesnt carry what I like anymore. Chaps or Nautica, I get my fall shirts on sale in spring and summer in the fall. Like 25 dollars a peice like that.

Cornerstone makes my polos

·
Super Moderator
27,725 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Lose the contractor look - all that canvas crap with shirt pockets that guys on TV wear makes it look like you're going on a safari. Your goal is to look as if you belong in the board room, but you don't need do look like an accountant, either. Minimum of a button down shirt, good jacket, pants at least one upgrade from jeans. Good (expensive) shoes, good belt. If you're not comfortable wearing a tie, then don't.

Overdress if you're not sure; it's very easy to lose a tie and a jacket if the situation requires. It's much harder to adjust in the other direction.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts