Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I need to start watching Hockey.
It's just as popular here as some parts of Canada.
I am still big in Basketball, and I have 3 kids, so I have to pick my sports wisely.
I can't watch em all.

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Speaking of kids and hockey, Ex-Pat Canadian here (Kitchener Rangers, Maple Leafs, Calgary Flames) . Lived in Delray Beach FL from 89 to 00. The street we lived on was a cul de sac, perfect for street hockey, ask any canadian kid? The neighborhood had maybe 15 fat, lazy, mostly bored kids and maybe one hockey stick between them. I was in my 40's when I started a street league with this bunch of 8 to 15 yr olds using some of my old sticks. In no time they had thier own equipment, then they started to wear roller blades, then we had kids from other neighbourhoods showing up. This was something out of the ordinary in FLA, little did I know that some of the parents of the kids thought maybe i was a pervert or had a thing for kids. But I talked to some of them, didn't take long before some of the more open minded of them joined in to play with us. The point I (was) trying to make short was that the game is infectious. Most of these kids dropped soccer or baseball and joined a roller hockey league within 1 yr of starting in the street. They now follow the Panthers and watch NHL games, they sound just like me out there too, altho they don't know who said it, they know what a "cannonading drive" is. Met

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
The Buds (Toronto to non-locals) are wisely trading away it's old guys. Read in my paper today Neiwendyke 38 and Roberts 39 went to FL. While we all like to see an old warhorse do well, remember Doug Gilmore, sometimes you have to let go. Mike Keenan doesn't like young guys so it's a good fit for them. Everyone wants Pronger and he probably has many good yrs in him, like him cuz he plays "mean". Met

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Everyone wants Pronger and he probably has many good yrs in him, like him cuz he plays "mean". Met
When Pronger came off the DL, he wasn't worth squat. I assumed he came back early to help in the playoffs, but he didn't do anything worth watching. Maybe this year he'll be back, and better.

BTW, I think the Blues hold the record for straight years in the playoffs, and never sealing the deal: 24
Always a bridesmaid, never a bride! :cheesygri

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
All right, this will sound like a monday morning QB.

A friend and I were talking about Pronger yesterday, and he advised me that he thought the Blues would sign him back up because he is a restricted free-agent, and they wanted to trade him to get something back, instead of waiting until next year when he would be unrestricted.

Lo and behold, this morning he was traded to Edmonton for 3 players.
Pavol Demitra also signed with the Kings yesterday. Good riddance.

At least we will keep Doug Weight, Keith Tkachuk, and Dallas Drake.

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
All right, this will sound like a monday morning QB.

A friend and I were talking about Pronger yesterday, and he advised me that he thought the Blues would sign him back up because he is a restricted free-agent, and they wanted to trade him to get something back, instead of waiting until next year when he would be unrestricted.

Lo and behold, this morning he was traded to Edmonton for 3 players.
Pavol Demitra also signed with the Kings yesterday. Good riddance.

At least we will keep Doug Weight, Keith Tkachuk, and Dallas Drake.
Eric Brewer is a good defenseman, a regular on team Canada and the
other two are supposed to be good prospects.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
What's a hockey? Don Rickles used to refer to hockey pucks, never made the connection.

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
The Great one to coach?

it will be interesting to see how long he lasts. Think Cherry said it first, it's very frustrating for a super gifted athlete to be a coach cuz you want your players to "do it like me", which of course they can't do. If you look at who the best coaches are, it's never been a super star, always a minor league guy or non player. Thoughts?

·
Registered
295 Posts
metalroofer said:
If you look at who the best coaches are, it's never been a super star, always a minor league guy or non player. Thoughts?
Funny how that is in hockey but not in football. It is probably the reason Micheal Jordan never coached, although Bird did a decent job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts