Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just re-upped my local newspaper ad. Last month, my first ad in the newspaper, ran me $93.00 for 10 lines of space and it ran for 4 weeks in 5 different newspapers. I thought that was a great deal and it was and it did pay for itself in a matter of days.

Today I went to renew it and it cost 6 times the price it did the first time I posted the ad. What's up with that?? Is that normal??

I wound up settling for a 1 week ad in only 2 newspapers for $87.00.

Is this common to get a good deal on the first ad and then bang 'em over the head for the renewal? I was very disappointed that they would do business this way.

·
Carpenter
514 Posts
My experience is increases every year.

I don't know about your coverage or size ad, but that still seems very cheap to me. Especially if its producing.

Around here, a local newspaper ad 1" x 1" would cost a lot more than that.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Maybe the paper is making up for lost circulation $$ with an increase in ad charges?

Still...that much of an increase seems steep. :blink:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I just re-upped my local newspaper ad. Last month, my first ad in the newspaper, ran me $93.00 for 10 lines of space and it ran for 4 weeks in 5 different newspapers. I thought that was a great deal and it was and it did pay for itself in a matter of days.

Today I went to renew it and it cost 6 times the price it did the first time I posted the ad. What's up with that?? Is that normal??

I wound up settling for a 1 week ad in only 2 newspapers for $87.00.

Is this common to get a good deal on the first ad and then bang 'em over the head for the renewal? I was very disappointed that they would do business this way.
Common, no. I wonder if the first was a mistake. Sounds like they accidently gave you a price from the weekly chart for a month!

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm calling tomorrow to find out what exactly happened and why the sudden price difference. The newspaper is a small local newspaper not the Star Ledger or anything. $6-700 is way out of my budget for advertising in a newspaper.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was that the one I talked to you about?
IP of BH?
Yup, that's the one. I couldn't believe it. I suck because I haven't called them about it yet either. Those bums.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Give 'em the cold shoulder for a period of time equal to the time your ad ran...then call 'em up and ask for that same [or lower] pricing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just shared a ad with four people we had plumber, carpenter, a bookkeeper and myself sent away somewhere and had 30,000 copies of our ads printed up and then picked what paper we wanted it to run in average we were getting qotes on were in the 57 per 1000 to insert our ad. Just dropped off 10000 last week will let you know how it pans out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
newspaper advertising is good but its going bad if they are increasing the ad charge in few days... and i think you should do a contract for your ad and billing system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have heard a number of instances where news ads are increasing prices without little or no notification because of the sharp decrease in ad dollars being generated. I would recommend investing your advertising money into more dynamic formats available through the internet.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This seems really strange to me. If the original price was a special introductory offer, the publisher would usually say that -- it might have been a mistake.

Regardless, you can measure the results from your advertising. If the ads are paying; that is the cost per lead that converts to successful business, is low enough that you are achieving profitable sales from your ads, continue them. The publisher makes money, but you do, too.

Otherwise, drop it like a lead balloon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We Don't have to take it..anymore!!

I want to let you guys in on a little tip...when you call to advertise in any of these "printed" outlets you never..ever pay what they quote you.
Unless you have been living under a rock for the last few years I'm sure you have heard of how newspapers, phone books, magazines all are buckling under the pressure of the internet.

This is a bit of a double edge sword in most cases. The reason why so many of these papers are struggling is because many companies have analyzed their return on investment and have seen the witting is on the wall. The ROI isn't there...that being said if you find that your company can realize a profit from the source it literally puts you in the divers seat.

A few months back we did a small lighting retrofit for the largest paper in our city. Basicaly the way that they operate is the main building where the printing is done will ship the papers out to a number of hub sites. From that point all the people who distribute the paper will go to their local hub site to organize their delivery.

I spoke to one of the higher echalone managers who said 5 years ago they didn't care what they sold the paper for. The advertising that was taken out in the paper made it very profitable. Today he said it's a compleately differnt story, they are piching pennies every where they can.

Now this puts you in a very strong negociating position. Always keep the old saying in mind....being paid a little is better then not being paid at all.

When you call these places phrase your statements like this....

Hello I would like take out an advertiesmnet in a local newspaper..right now I'm looking at your paper and (another big paper) and (one more just for good measure). I'd like to find out when your cut off is to advertise in the next isse is? Could you e-mail me a rate card just so I can keep that all streight.

The next part is key..
call just before that cut off time and say this..

I called a few days ago I have been looking at your paper (and name the other two) I am going to decide today as to which one I am going to advertise in..if this first run works as well as I hope it will I would like to take the ad out for say 6 months...what is the best price you can do for a 6x6 ad run 7 days a week for a month.

They will probably come back with something like..
"well we can probably do 1500.00"

you say
Wow...Well based on the other papers I was expecting alot less...

Now SHUT UP don't say anything unill after they do

Them
Oh..I guess we could knock of a few dollars off but I would need to ask my boss..

This is when you inject the upsell

Well what else could you add to that..could we do an insert into the paper for a week? Or how about a profile of our company in the metro section about how we are offering green options to our clients. It's very important that we do well with this first run because it will determine if we renew for the 6 months.....

Them
Well..I'll have to check

You
Ok i can tell you that 1500 isn't very competitive at all can you call me in five minutes after speking with your boss?

Five minutes later

Them
Ok we can do everything that you asked for 750

You
Is that really the best you can do?
I have authorization to pay 450 right now but I have to call my partner and clear it with them also Can you check with your boss and see if you can do that again we need to make this decision today.

Them
Ok I just checked and they said that we can do it for 450

You
Ok let me call my partner and I'll call you back in 5 minutes

Five minutes later
You
Ok here is the situation I want to go with you guys but your still a bit higher then our other other options. There isn't much differnce between you guys. I like you guys and want to go with you..tell you what if you can split the difference between the two prices and do it for 300 I'll send you out a check in today's mail. The post office closes in a 30 minutes so lets wrap this up..what do you say?

After a short pause and checking with someone
Them
Ok 300 it is

Again remember your in the drivers seat..they are hungry for your business don't take the price that they give you as being a "set in stone" price

Man..Got a bit long winded there!! Hopefully that should help you guys to save a bit of cash....

·
Registered
992 Posts
I want to let you guys in on a little tip...when you call to advertise in any of these "printed" outlets you never..ever pay what they quote you.
Unless you have been living under a rock for the last few years I'm sure you have heard of how newspapers, phone books, magazines all are buckling under the pressure of the internet.

This is a bit of a double edge sword in most cases. The reason why so many of these papers are struggling is because many companies have analyzed their return on investment and have seen the witting is on the wall. The ROI isn't there...that being said if you find that your company can realize a profit from the source it literally puts you in the divers seat.

A few months back we did a small lighting retrofit for the largest paper in our city. Basicaly the way that they operate is the main building where the printing is done will ship the papers out to a number of hub sites. From that point all the people who distribute the paper will go to their local hub site to organize their delivery.

I spoke to one of the higher echalone managers who said 5 years ago they didn't care what they sold the paper for. The advertising that was taken out in the paper made it very profitable. Today he said it's a compleately differnt story, they are piching pennies every where they can.

Now this puts you in a very strong negociating position. Always keep the old saying in mind....being paid a little is better then not being paid at all.

When you call these places phrase your statements like this....

Hello I would like take out an advertiesmnet in a local newspaper..right now I'm looking at your paper and (another big paper) and (one more just for good measure). I'd like to find out when your cut off is to advertise in the next isse is? Could you e-mail me a rate card just so I can keep that all streight.

The next part is key..
call just before that cut off time and say this..

I called a few days ago I have been looking at your paper (and name the other two) I am going to decide today as to which one I am going to advertise in..if this first run works as well as I hope it will I would like to take the ad out for say 6 months...what is the best price you can do for a 6x6 ad run 7 days a week for a month.

They will probably come back with something like..
"well we can probably do 1500.00"

you say
Wow...Well based on the other papers I was expecting alot less...

Now SHUT UP don't say anything unill after they do

Them
Oh..I guess we could knock of a few dollars off but I would need to ask my boss..

This is when you inject the upsell

Well what else could you add to that..could we do an insert into the paper for a week? Or how about a profile of our company in the metro section about how we are offering green options to our clients. It's very important that we do well with this first run because it will determine if we renew for the 6 months.....

Them
Well..I'll have to check

You
Ok i can tell you that 1500 isn't very competitive at all can you call me in five minutes after speking with your boss?

Five minutes later

Them
Ok we can do everything that you asked for 750

You
Is that really the best you can do?
I have authorization to pay 450 right now but I have to call my partner and clear it with them also Can you check with your boss and see if you can do that again we need to make this decision today.

Them
Ok I just checked and they said that we can do it for 450

You
Ok let me call my partner and I'll call you back in 5 minutes

Five minutes later
You
Ok here is the situation I want to go with you guys but your still a bit higher then our other other options. There isn't much differnce between you guys. I like you guys and want to go with you..tell you what if you can split the difference between the two prices and do it for 300 I'll send you out a check in today's mail. The post office closes in a 30 minutes so lets wrap this up..what do you say?

After a short pause and checking with someone
Them
Ok 300 it is

Again remember your in the drivers seat..they are hungry for your business don't take the price that they give you as being a "set in stone" price

Man..Got a bit long winded there!! Hopefully that should help you guys to save a bit of cash....
A lot of contractors are having problems right now. Do you suggest that home owners beat them down to nothing as well?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Try looking into running an add on the local talk radio station. It is not usually as expensive as one would expect it to be. But you will reach more customers with it, and nowadays more and more people are tuning into AM talk than reading newspapers cause they get more honesty from the AM stations news casts than the jaundiced papers which have become birdcage liner material over the last couple of decades.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newspaper price increasing

When I placed my first newspaper ad in April 2004 in the services section it was $ 99.00 per month. They do rate increases in August. So, in August 2004 my price jumped 40% to $139.00 per month. Now it is $ 169.00 per month. Five years ago the newpaper was a good source for jobs. Now, it does not produce the leads it once did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts