Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a good conversation about yellow page advertising I thought I would start a new thread about Newspaper Advertising.

* What papers do you advertise in (big city or local)
* How much do you pay
* What ads have worked the best (wording, color?, placement)
* Do coupons work better than straight ads?
* Do you get more business out of the yellow pages or the newspaper?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
If you cover a service area as large as the big city paper then go right for the big city. I suspect you may have a better response. We advertise locally. The last thing I want is to pay for my add to be seen 100 miles away where I don't service. Heck! The chicago tribune has subscribers all the way in Michigan.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
For us, I would say our customer base reads the front section of the newspaper pretty often, so I would say newspaper.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
We only have one paper so that pretty much answers that question.
A 2 X 3 (two columns X 3 ins., a 'square' ad) runs $75.00 a month, add $10.00 for one color.
I advertized for 2 yrs. and garnered about 3 hits, none substantial and certainly not enough to pay for the ads.
My feeling is that coupons are for grocery stores. How much money do I have to give away to get work? Answer; none.
I have many friends that say that being in the YellowPages really kicked business in gear. I may try it if there looks like an impending slowdown. That's certainly not in sight for the next few years.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Nate, newspapers have a better response than yellow pages for your buck (ROI). Remember newspaper classifieds and newspaper adds are something totaly different. We pretty much have only done the classifieds.

One cool thing about the newspaper is you can sign a 9 month contract, instead of 12. For us there is no reason to advertise roofing in December through February in the Chicago climate. The newspaper doesnt run our adds those months.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I have a friend in Oregon who runs in the classifieds only too, and he gets very good results.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Yup Yup classifieds. They have a section just for roofing. People open up the paper and say I need a roofer, I will check the classifieds. A block add as you put it is good for branding, and not much else IMO.

I wouldn't runa block add unless I had accompanyed it with a classified add. Also will your block add be rotating or fixed position? I mean will it be on page 10 in the lowe right hand corner this week and pade 4 in the upper left next week or will it be on page 4 in the left corner every week?

My karate teacher runs newspaper adds. He runs the block adds. He has one fixed and one that rotates where ever they have room. This works out pretty well for him.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I don't have the need to advertise anymore, but the 'classified' ads were always the way to go. Ran me about 200/month, but kept me in 'steady' work.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
When guys say they don't need to advertise, I am both skeptical and jealous at the same time. Then again I am a work whore and will take all the qualified leads I can get my hands on.

Also I think you are a builder and I am a roofer, so I go through 1 job in a day and you might do 5 in a year. You need less leads than I need to keep the machine running.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
You also get to a point after 25 years in business, your 'regular' (preferred) customers keep you busy just about all the time. It's like a never-ending circle.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
I've been doing the small local papers. Have had good results. I have stock to what is called the business services directory sections. It runs me around $300 for 8 weeks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
MinConst said:
I've been doing the small local papers. Have had good results. I have stock to what is called the business services directory sections. It runs me around $300 for 8 weeks.
Do you have a lot of competition from other guys doing similar work who advertise in the same paper?

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Cubevan,
Nothing like 75 others. There are possibly 8 or 10 others in the same section of one paper, and in a second paper I advertize there is a 6 or 7.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts