Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some background, area was seeded late summer/fall so the grass is still relatively new. Difficult due to the slope...

Only recently was able to get the pre-emergent down (scotts step 1)

Don't feel that cutouts and sod are practical, yet at this point I'm into seeding maybe come Sept after the weed control wears off...should I pull this stuff and hope that the crawl of the grass will overgrow it? (though in areas won't leave much) Spot treat the area? What?

Seed:

- 28.27 Padre 2 Tall Fescue
- 27.98 Kingdom Tall Fescue
- 27.78 Stetson II Tall Fescue
- 9.80 Allsport 5 Perennial Rye
- 5.03 Shamrock Kentucky Bluegrass

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Since I just applied 'step 1' two days back, think I should let it sit til after showers come later today and tomorrow?

Have a feeling most of this weedstuff was dormant in soil from last year. After clearing a bunch of honeysuckle out too.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
I would seed it now before it gets really hot and the weeds take off. Don't even wait a day longer. Rake it in, keep it wet, and resist the urge to cut it too low.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,400 Posts
Pre emergent is to prevent new seeds from germinating, you need post emergent broadleaf weed control to take care the ones that have hatched in the picture

Or just mow it higher than the newly emerging grasses. Annual weeds are easily controled with mowing. Or just spray with 2 4D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try to remove the weed manually (if that is possible). Thereafter, spread the weedkiller in the lawn. After few weeks, mow the overgrown grass. Mowing controls weed growth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts