Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello group,

By reading your postings, I see that many of you guys do roofing. I live in Maryland and happen to need a new roof. It is about 1700 SQ and just a may have to be replaced. I just got a estimate for $6,500.00 for a shingle roof and replacment of all plywood. When I go to local Home Depot, I see that the shingle is about $11.00 per 100 SQ ($1300.00), lets say $1500.00 and then trash removal another $500.00, so total material $2000.00. Is it normal to ask about $4000.00 for a two day job? Is this a DIY type of work? It sounds pretty messy!

Thanks all

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Figure the 30% rule for typical shingle roofing. 30% material 30% labor 30% profit. This is not always true but a good rule of thumb. Roofing is VERY labor intensive.

Is your floor plan 1700 or is that the actual roof area? I will assume for conversation your floor plan is 1700. I will put your roof roughly at 22 roofing squares depending on the actual pitch and architecture of your roof.

Total wood replacement? Hmm do you have cedar on your roof? I will assume yes since this is really the only reason to bid total wood replacement. Maybe you have mold or some other issue, in which case please advise in your reply.

So I know the very very very cheapest I would charge for what you called a plywood job is $350 per square. I am guessing your roof is 22 squares. This would put my cost at $7,700.

Your counting only materials. Let's do a breakdown using your numbers and some I will interject:

$6,500 total cost
-$800 shingle cost
-$1650 plywood cost
-$430 felt, nails, ice shield, flashing etc...
-$1021 2 days labor(16 hours), 4 man crew
-$500 disposal
----------
$2099

This $2099 is for vehicle overhead, office overhead, and profit. Without knowing all the details I think you got a very good price. Now read this: http://www.diychatroom.com/howto57.htm

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was affraid that would be the price! Anyhow, I know there is no ceder or mold on the roof. The house is 30+ years old and has two layers of old shingles. According to the contractor all 52 (minus one or two) need to go.

By the way, that also gives you an idea of the roof size. Do you still think that is a good deal?

Thanks

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the roof steep or walkable? 1 or 2 story? what part of MD? I am from MD and can give you a ballpark figure to look for if you like to compare.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm at $5831 if it's 1 story, walkable, and dump trailer accessable. This is for 17 sq of roof including re-sheeting. P.S. if you can get 100 sq ft of shingles for $11 PLEASE tell me where as I pay $38 if I pick up.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, something is not right with this guy. Go back to his original post and follow the conversation through. Also notice that he did not register. My feeling is that he has gotten enough free info.
Maybe we should ad PayPal to the site for unregistered users.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grumpy, I guess he just figured that by walking on the roof! Anyhow, I looked around some more and decided to just go ahead. It maybe a over-kill, but I also like the work done right the first time.

Also thanks to the other user for offering. And the shignles for $11.00 was in local Home Depot, they may have been having a sale, if it was that cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts