Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a newer home bought 7 years ago. Recently in heavy rains have noticed a small leak through the soffit.

Pulled some of the soffit to find water wicking in through the valley about halfway up the run.

Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Wood

Wood Beam Floor Brickwork Brick

I've got the 1 downspout for the upper section of roof above, you can see at the bump out above the valley. Was thinking maybe cross-wash from the amount of water coming out of the downspout.

That bead of water on the flashing looks quite suspect too though.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
I'm sure this will get kicked soon.

However, that valley is way more exposed than we do it here. That would leak everytime it was rainy and windy.

Other than that, hard to tell from a picture.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never seen valleys cut in that way. It appears they ran 3' starter shingles on up the valley to avoid cutting in the angle cuts. That's a new one on me!
Yep that's how its been done. At least there aren't any valley's over living space...

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,047 Posts
I'm sure this will get kicked soon.

However, that valley is way more exposed than we do it here. That would leak everytime it was rainy and windy.

Other than that, hard to tell from a picture.

I would be surprised if it has Ice & water under that. 3" vally is common here.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,047 Posts
Have a newer home bought 7 years ago. Recently in heavy rains have noticed a small leak through the soffit.

Pulled some of the soffit to find water wicking in through the valley about halfway up the run.

View attachment 516453
View attachment 516454

I've got the 1 downspout for the upper section of roof above, you can see at the bump out above the valley. Was thinking maybe cross-wash from the amount of water coming out of the downspout.

Any ideas?
Where is that weeping in relation to the outside on the valley. Can't see it all , but I don't care for the way the end of the valley metal looks.

Oh also for additional help www.diychatroom.com , site for homeowners.

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
I've seen them with a starter row, but you still need to cut the angles. The starter row just gives you something to cut back to and glue down if you want to.

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
I would be surprised if it has Ice & water under that. 3" vally is common here.
Yep. We usually keep it around 2 inches. Unless there are a lot of trees around.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Prolly best to simply pull-up the shingles in the area and re-assemble with some I&W.....Pretty quick 2hrs maybe repair.....I'd go ahead and throw a elbow on that downspout just for kicks.

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
I see california cut valleys all the time, but not on open valley like that. Good chance that W metal was nailed too close tot the centerline considering. I like to see 3 foot roll of ice & water centered, then W metal nailed close to edge, then a proper cut closer to the centerline without shooting nails too close to the centerline of the flashing, and cement it down to the W metal too - edges only. I also clip corners on the top of the shingles so water doesn't hit it and run across the shingle. So many potentials for leaks in so many different ways.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I see california cut valleys all the time, but not on open valley like that. Good chance that W metal was nailed too close tot the centerline considering. I like to see 3 foot roll of ice & water centered, then W metal nailed close to edge, then a proper cut closer to the centerline without shooting nails too close to the centerline of the flashing, and cement it down to the W metal too - edges only. I also clip corners on the top of the shingles so water doesn't hit it and run across the shingle. So many potentials for leaks in so many different ways.
Someone was telling me about clipping the corners, but I didn’t get it. Got a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,901 Posts

View attachment 516453
View attachment 516454

Any ideas?
Looks like they cut a wrinkle out of the middle and attempted to seal it with caulk. Can you get a better pic of this?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
Looks like they cut a wrinkle out of the middle and attempted to seal it with caulk. Can you get a better pic of this?

Good eye! I saw that, but didn't really pay it any attention - glossed right over it and went straight for install procedure. That does look like a bubble they cut and caulked - which would be a leaker for sure. Happens to be right where the leak is described too!

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
The only "mistake" I see here, is the arrow where it points to "Asphalt plastic cement" - that corner isn't shown clipped, but it should be. Just an artist oversight though. It does show how water running down can hit that corner and run across the shingle, finding its way in down there. Also - that detail has the clips which are the best way to attach. Better hold than the edge nail, and 0 risk of penetrating metal or wrinkling it shooting through the edge.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,901 Posts
Good eye! I saw that, but didn't really pay it any attention - glossed right over it and went straight for install procedure. That does look like a bubble they cut and caulked - which would be a leaker for sure. Happens to be right where the leak is described too!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts