Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to contracting, and I've looked at the residential specialty code, and I'm still not clear... I am working on a house with a walk-in closet that was added to a master bedroom by popping out into the garage. The closet is fully sheetrocked inside, and on on the outside (from the garage) it has wood paneling. I can't see, but I think it's just standard framing with the sheetrock on the inside, wood paneling on the outside, and poly bats between. The ceiling is sheetrocked inside, and just has poly bats laid in the framing with wood panels just laid over the top on the outside.

My problem is that a home inspector has determined the closet does not have a "safety firewall as required".

Any suggestions as to what this means?

Thanks!

·
improving homes
1,034 Posts
I would do like joasis suggested and make a phone call to the inspector and ask him what he would like to see on there to meet code. Inspectors should give you some help and most like it when you ask what they want to see to make them happy.

I know that in my area most garages are drywalled with 5/8" rock on the garage side of the wall common with interior living space to meet fire rating.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

I did email and ask him to clarify. I just want to be up on this kind of thing. I suppose I'll hear from him shortly.

As you can see from my previous posts. I'm the one who was forced into "project management" last year. Which prompted one post of "you've got to be f-ing kidding me!" NOPE! I know it was absurd, but... gotta make a living somehow! Needless to say, that company has now folded! But it WAS a great learning experience, and I DID meet a LOT of very nice helpful subs who did pretty much explain how to do almost everything! You had asked how I got the job without the experience, and the answer was a less than motivated family member who wanted to dump the work on me and travel around Europe!

Now I'm working along slowly and learning how to do things right BEFORE I do them!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
All the surfaces exposed inside the garage needs to be 5/8" fire rated gypsum board...

If the roof line is exposed inside the garage then that needs to be covered also

·
Registered
493 Posts
All the surfaces exposed inside the garage needs to be 5/8" fire rated gypsum board...any doors needs to be rated for 20 minutes.

If the roof line is exposed inside the garage then that needs to be covered also
Actually, isn't a 1 hour rating required, and that is two layers of 5/8 x rock? the two layers can be on one side, and staggered seams. if you have screw inspections where you are, you will have to have each layer inspected, one before the second layer is hung, the second before mud and tape. the door can be 20 min, but the walls min 1 hour.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts