Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I am 24 and a recent college graduated in poli science. Realizing there is not a big demand for politcal scientists I want to pursue a career in construction. I have grew up a weekend warrior, so I know some about construction.....both grandfathers being carpenters and my dad runs a container business. I already have my contractors license, but I just dont know a great deal about building. Any ideas on where I should start at or would I be better off on focusing on a certain trade.
thanks for any advice,
Jon

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
First of all, welcome to the board.
Second, where are you and what license do you hold?

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
nanoboy said:
I already have my contractors license, but I just dont know a great deal about building.

No offense intended, Jon. But please don't tell me I'm the only one that sees something wrong with this??? :rolleyes: :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Depending on the state, you simply can purchase the right to be a contractor. You do not have to take tests, etc. Its a way for the state to make a little extra cash, and a way for people to be documented.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I could totaly believe that. There are no licensing requirements within my state, something that needs to change IMO. Pick a trade, find yourself a job, you going to need some experience before you can jump in & run your own show. Good luck. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Believe it or not, I do have a building contractors license....I live in NC and I have been licensed since age 19. The test was mostly codes and I took a couple of classes on how to read blueprints. I know most people obtain knowledge then obtain their license, I did it backwards.
Now I need some help on where to start at.
thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'd advise you to hire on with a good outfit and get your feet wet, figure out what you like to do and are good at. Back to work now.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
As a person who occasionally hires employees, I have one word of advice. If you start looking for a job somewhere you might want to keep the fact that you are licensed under your hat. That fact, for me, is sometimes a red flag for a person seeking an entry level position. I find that sometimes they can be unskilled know-it-alls. PLEASE, that's not what I'm calling you. I'm just relating my experience. If you were seeking a higher-level position, then I'd fully expect that you'd be licensed in some manner, and that would be normal.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
nanoboy said:
Believe it or not, I do have a building contractors license....I live in NC and I have been licensed since age 19. The test was mostly codes and I took a couple of classes on how to read blueprints. I know most people obtain knowledge then obtain their license, I did it backwards.
Now I need some help on where to start at.
thanks,
Jon
Nano,
Where in NC? I'm in Winston-Salem, and judgeing from the look of some of the work here I'm not real sure the GCs have any experiance slinging a hammer either. If your'e licensed I'm not totally convinced you need that much experiance. Hire experianced folk. You know the codes.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
BrosBuilding said:
Depending on the state, you simply can purchase the right to be a contractor. You do not have to take tests, etc. Its a way for the state to make a little extra cash, and a way for people to be documented.
IL used to be that wasy until 2003 when they initiated their rather hard examination.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts