Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hows everyone doing? I just signed up today......

I am 24 years old and have been doing carpentry for about 7 years now...My father and myself started a general carpentry company in 98-99 (remodels, baths, kitchens, doors, decks, porches, etc) I mainly work on 100+ year old houses...(might as well get rid of my level :) ) Anyway I hope to learn some new things here...

Here are a couple of pics of a Mahogany deck I recently finished...

BTW, I used the eb-ty fastening system for this deck...kind of a pain to biscuit every one, but the end result is worth it! Also the deck is 5/4 mahog.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
NICE! Is that Mahogany? Looks just like the Brazillian walnut deck I just put in at my house. I face screwed and plugged, because I'm a cheap bastard and didn't want to fork over the $900 bucks for the ebtys. What's the finish? It looks like Penofin. What are the 2 wells in the back? Sky lights for window well? I don't see any venting anywhere, no concerns with cupping?

Looks awesome, love the look of those hardwood decks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To answer a few questions:

Yes, the finish is Penofin..(good eye!)

Yes, the wells are for window boxes...also there are three, not two...you cant see one under the flower box...

Also, I assumed the window wells would be enough venting?..Do you recommend more? If so, where should they be?

Thanks for the welcome so far guys! I will be posting up some more of my work soon!..

thanks

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Hey, be careful you don't lose any cats down those wells! He he he, actually that might not be a bad thing.

Vents on the risers of your two steps would be where I would put them. That would have the potential to get some air flowing in the front and out the wells.

Great work, I wish I new a couple of 24 year olds around here that were capable of doing work like that!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow alot has changed since i posted this... We are still in business, doing better than ever..I havent posted much..I've been so busy.. We now have two employees, and recently became the head installers for a kitchen company.. http://www.eastsidekandb.com/ I will post up our new wbesite when it is finished..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts