Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys. just joined today after looking quite a while for a forum for media blasting. i have recently bought a problast set up and am on my way to making my millions. :thumbsup:

i am not doing any sandblasting as there is alot of guys locally who work for almost free. i am mainly going to do soda, glass, cobb and whatever else comes along.

what has been your best money maker for blasting? was it houses? cars? mold? fire? restoration work? graffiti? ect ect
also, what have you found to be the most effective way of promoting your business? word of mouth. media? internet? print? or?

just curious as i think i may be over my head. lol

awesome site too!!!

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Hello Rather, These questions come up pretty much every couple of weeks from newer blasters. The answer to what work is best is the work they call you with. I get a mix from autos to turn pike bridges. I take it all.

Word of mouth followed by internet work best simply because they are free. We have all thrown our share of print adv. out there. Mostly waisted cash. Truth is it just takes time. Every year you can stick in there you pick up new regulars. You can go around to the body shops and boat dealers and such but then they know you are looking for work and they want it real cheap. I prefer to see what comes to me. It's hard to ask for work and then try to get a lot of cash too. It's tough out there, good luck

·
Mr Blaster
75 Posts
Hardest thing to do.... I would not waste money on Yellowbook.com.... Powdercoat shops, welding shops, coops, and county streets departments/city engineers are always good people to send a letter to. I take it all, but I dont budge on my pricing. It is what it is... You offer something 100x better than someone with a d.a. sander, or a gallon of chemical stripper. Get good at your trade, charge according. It doesnt hurt to go out and find your work either. Dont be afraid to try something new either. I blasted a pool, and some huge I beams in the ceiling above.... had to work off a 4 stack of scaffold, but I also got to cash a large check. Know your limits, and believe me I found it after that job.. hahaha. Good luck.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Mrblaster is right
you cant have us tell you what to do.
you got to feel the waters, try stuff.
Some things you'll make money and you'll lose some to. but when you do, make notes and change it next time.
the more you do the more experiance you will gain. you can't teach that on here.

When going into a big job, ask us on our oppition and how some of us would do it. then judge it for your self and "Get it Done!"
(sorry I couln't resist Paul. that is a good phrase)

right now, try it all.
you'll find your grove !

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys.I am super happy i found this site. alot of my ideas were just guess work.

i am doing a graffiti removal job today for the local curling club (hey, i am in Canada! curling and hockey) i saw a Boo in the local fishrap about how the graffiti on the building is 2 yrs old and people are sick of seeing it. went and saw them and the quote they got was 12g to remove it. its about 2-3hrs of blasting ground level so i said i would do it for cheap just to get my name out there. they were super happy. they are putting me on their website plus advertising inside the building for my business. (i didnt ask for that)
the city owns the building so i contacted the head works foreman and he is coming down to see how it works. the hockey arena is beside this arena and they are coming too.
i can see how word of mouth works for sure.

i got a resto shops work as well yesterday. I have a background with muscle cars so i know alot of resto shop and car guys. thats helping too

for now its part time but i am hoping to quit my real job this year and do this full time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
more silly questions

hey guys, hope your not going to get tired of the endless questions i have.

1st- billing. say you have a graffiti removal job for the city thats in 4 or 5 different spots. how are you billing? each job+travel time or just a hourly rate or a set price for everything? travel time may be 10 minutes at most but then ther eis set up and tear down too.

2nd. yesterday i landed blasting work from a local resto shop. he is using another blaster right now but having done work for me before he wants to use me. he said his other blaster is super busy with graffiti and working with the wineries (this is wine country) not to look like a total newbie i didnt ask what he would be doing with the wine industry, anybody do any work for them?

it seems endless the amount of stuff you can blast.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
12g was blasting and painting. i am just blasting and they are going to plant trees or something in front of the wall in the spring to keep the graffiti off.
i got 1/2 of the job done today turned out ok so far will post pics when i am done. i can only blast when they are not playing so i only got from 2pm to 4:30pm monday i should get 3 hrs and that will totally finish the project. they are super happy with me and even put a link on the site allready.

i do have insurance. being in Canada my insurance is way less that you guys down south. the blasting part is a division of another company and we were able to blend both insurances so i am covered. were not sue happy here either so not alot of that here.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
just starting out and reading what you guys had to say about word of mouth i quoted them $350. to say they were shocked is a understatement. I did a test patch for them last week and they were happy and seeing how they are attached heavily to all the newspapers locally, its a city building, tons of members, website, ect ect. i figured it was a good job to advertise on and it allready paid off with another job and i am sure will open up more work for me plus gets my name out there too.
for $350 it will pay for my materials and fuel so as long as i dont lose money on it i think its a smart business move

·
Tony
213 Posts
You have to remember all your cost (rent, elec, travel & setup and profit) etc. Also when you bid higher on the next project they have they may say why so much when you did the other job for so much less.

I tried that when I first started and it just rack up more debt for me. Charge a fair price from the start.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
a fair going price is 150 to 175 hour.

That includes Labor, fuel, compressor cost (oil-tires-parts over time) and insurence, and a a bag or 2 of grit.

thell them this. if you go over the 1 or 2 bags charge them for the extra bags.

for clean up time, charge 40 hour. thats fair. and you make money.

keep trac of the things you do and over time if someone does not want to do by the hour you will have the knowlage of the cost over all.

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
I have never charged by the hour, just by the job and I have been lucky so far. I did get caught in a ringer on the first frame I ever blasted. I priced it by the job because I didnt know undercoating was such a pain in the A$$ to get off. Lesson learned!! I always ask if it has undercoating now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts