Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Home Builder
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello and thank you for allowing me to post this new thread.

I'm a newbie looking for any "expert" or advanced user help. I'm a newbie to design software, but not construction.

I'm a custom home builder out of the Denver area that has hired out "all" of my design/drafting services in the past. We have diversified our business a little and are taking on smaller projects (ie Kitchen, bath, basement remodels) and we build outbuildings (barns).

We would like to offer in-house design services for our smaller projects. We are looking at CA products to do this.

Will you help us determine the "major" differences between CA X2 and Designer Pro 9.0? I know there is a cost difference, but why is there one? I can't find any information on previous threads, CA's website, HDS website or on-line.

OR

Is there a reason we should buy CAX2 over CA Designer Pro?

I need more out of my design for permit submittals, cut-a-ways, contractor notes, etc.

Thank you for your help and any comments will be useful.

·
Home Builder
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ChiefTalk Requires Serial Number

chieftalk requires the serial number of the software to enter the forum. I just emailed sales at Chief Talk, posted the question for ChiefExpert and asked ChiefTutor. The question was recently asked on HomeDesignerSoftware's (CA's Home Designer series forum) so I didn't ask there.

Anyone that is using CA, if you have "20 minutes" or if anyone else wants to look at it, there is video put out on CA's HomeDesignerSoftware .com's site (under products, pro) about the software. CA's site and CA's HDS Pro site have some of the same "end" designs.

If I find anything with my other inquiries I'll keep you posted. If anyone else can help, it might be valuable to all. $2K (CA X2) V. $316 (CA HDS Pro - Amazon).

Remember, I'm a design software newbie and there is probably an obvious difference between the two products, I just can't see it. I'm willing to spend for a minimal ROI, but i see a larger ROI on design/build capabilities....for smaller projects.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't over look softplan products. You can get their lite version for under a grand. I started with that for a year or so before I upgraded to the full version. For occassional use, lite works great.

·
Design it, and Build it.
81 Posts
Chief

I have always had a good deal of success with Chief, but if your are starting out, HDPro is cheap and will get you started on the path.

There are many helpful videos at YouTube.com & ChiefTutor.com

And best of all they are free.:thumbup:

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts