Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! I did some searching but didn't find any real answers like I'm looking for so here goes!

I am putting together a mobile pool tile/fountain/etc. blasting setup on a small flatbed trailer. I've done some research and I'm down to buying one of 2 compressors.

This Ingersoll Rand
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_454_454

or this Northstar.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_454_454

Leaning towards the Northstar from all of the great reviews and a great warranty.

There are many different blaster/media pots. Not sure which way to go here! Any input?

Hose size and a recommendation on quality hose and diameter? Some of my runs might be as much as 150+ feet around to the back of the residence.

Sprayer tip size for different applications?

Water separators inline in the hose?

Pressures recommended for standard glazed tiles? We also have quite a bit of quartzite waterlines on many of the pools out here. From what I understand, standard silica for quartzite and stone?

Lots of questions, I know. But I'm excited about this and a really want to do it right!! Any tidbit of info are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance all!!!
Dave

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Hi Dave. I have to first ask if you are only cleaning glazed tile, or are you also wanting to remove paint from the walls. If you plan to remove coatings from pools you could not use this type of compressor from Norther, TSC also sells that one. For coatings we "in the biz." are using diesel tow behind compressors which are a whole different animal.

This smaller machine is going to give you max 20 some cfms at about 90 psi. You can defiantly get through smaller jobs with it like a couple of rows of tile around a pool. Your nozzle would have to be no more than 1/8 inch. This type of system would likely use white ceramic cones that you would replace about every couple of hours of blasting.

Air hose diameter. Maybe 3/8 will allow you to keep the cfms you have up. You can not for instance use the coiled yellow 1/4 inch hose you see for things like a nail gun. You need as much air flow as you can keep.

Air hose length. As short as possible. You will want to move the compressor close to the work. You might just loose too much cfm and psi with a longer run. You could try it but I wouldn't go over one 50 foot length when possible.

Air hose brand. For this type of application there is only one correct choice.It is called flexzilla. It is bright green. It is the softest most flexible hose on the market. It stays that way in sub zero temperatures. Other hose will be stiff even in 40%. TSC has it or look on line.

I don't know much about the best brands of hobby type pots. Get one that holds about two bags and I would look for a model that has the funnel built in to the top instead of just a smaller cap to unscrew. They are much faster for loading. Whatever hose comes with it will be fine. The awful part with those is usually the nozzle shut off. They are blocks of rubber and need to reset or replaced constantly if you are using an abrasive.

I don't know what you are trying to do with the tile so I don't know what you should use. I guess soda would clean them with out damage but you need to buy a kit to make a hobby blaster work with soda and it may not work well even then. You will have to also make certain whatever abrasive you pick up is of a fine enough grit to pass through your machine. I know what they stock at TSC is often too large for that type. Buy one bag first and be sure before you buy a skid of anything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for the reply!

The main purpose for this setup for me will be for removing calcium from pool waterline tile and fountains/water features. While most is glazed tile, a lot of that will be a natural stone also. I probably should have mentioned that!

For years I have been "subbing" this work out to another guy. He has run this same type of compressor configuration for years and it has worked well for him, so that is why I started looking at that type.

Out here in the southern California desert, most of our housing tracts and communities are pretty crammed in together which makes having to run a hose down the side of the house with the compressor/trailer in the driveway the norm. Some of those distances can be well over 100 feet. I remember his setup consisting of 3/4" red hose with what looked to be a water separator in line at some point. Does that sound right?

I'll keep doing the research on the blast pots. I think I've found what I need from Eastwood but I know that some of the guys around here just use an inexpensive unit from Harbor Freight.

From what I've seen with the guys out here, most are using glass beads for most tile and silica for any of the stone. Does that all sound correct?

Am I forgetting anything small or large? I bought a trailer yesterday. Was hoping to buy the compressor today as well as some of the other necessities.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated! Again, thank you!
Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw that compressor at TSC for 1999, but not $1000. Am I looking at the right one? For some reason I can't view that Grainger link on my phone but I'll check it out when I get back to the office.
Yes, pools are usually drained. I'd love to pick your brain over the phone someday if you wouldn't mind! Sounds like you have lots of experience in the trade! Thank you!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank a bunch! I'll take you up on that here soon. I found this:

https://www.texasblaster.com/index.php?blockitemid=30

Seems to cover quite a bit of the questions I had. Not sure about their carbide nozzles. They may awesome, I don't know. But this seems to be pretty good info.

Called my local TSC. I wouldn't see that compressor until about early to mid April, according to the salesman I spoke with.

Leaning back towards this one. It has a bunch of great reviews and a good warranty. $2000 delivered to my door and it could be here in 7-9 business days.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200596488_200596488

Picked up my new flatbed trailer today. One thing at a time!

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
That is pretty much the same compressor. It's two stage and a great motor.
Texas blaster is a good pot. Has quick fill top . Not too large which is good. Your compressor has to keep that pot full and you are only working woth a 30 gallon tank so you can't fill a larger pot. You may still find you have to hold up a moment to let it catch up. Carbide is veey nice. Ceramic wears down fast. Carbide will never wear down for your use. I think you need at least 20 feet of blast hose. You need five feet of slack to move around. I like the large wheels too.

·
Bob
512 Posts
If you plan to shoot silica sand recommend you also get a blasting hood with supplied breathing air (like the set-up in my avatar photo). Silicosis is a horrible disease.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I would agree and say just go with anything else. Glass would do the same thing as sand. It's even a little softer so it might be better. I have some Perlite that has less than 1% silica and is very gentle.

The hoods we mostly wear depend on a large volume of air that you won't have. You will want to look at the Hobby air from Eastwood. It's about $600 with a tyvec hood. Small electric air pump.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...obbyair+eastwood+breathing&_sacat=0&_from=R40

That's a link to e bay. $400 and under with nice masks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is pretty much the same compressor. It's two stage and a great motor.
Texas blaster is a good pot. Has quick fill top . Not too large which is good. Your compressor has to keep that pot full and you are only working woth a 30 gallon tank so you can't fill a larger pot. You may still find you have to hold up a moment to let it catch up. Carbide is veey nice. Ceramic wears down fast. Carbide will never wear down for your use. I think you need at least 20 feet of blast hose. You need five feet of slack to move around. I like the large wheels too.
Good info, thank you. I wasn't sure on the carbide but it really sounds like the way to go.

When I spoke to the man at Texas Blasters the other day, he said that no matter what, his rig will blast any media. I'm going to get the basic rig with 20' blast hose and I guess a couple 1/8" nozzles. At least 1 for a backup, right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you plan to shoot silica sand recommend you also get a blasting hood with supplied breathing air (like the set-up in my avatar photo). Silicosis is a horrible disease.
Thanks for the info!! Anything I can learn is appreciated!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would agree and say just go with anything else. Glass would do the same thing as sand. It's even a little softer so it might be better. I have some Perlite that has less than 1% silica and is very gentle.

The hoods we mostly wear depend on a large volume of air that you won't have. You will want to look at the Hobby air from Eastwood. It's about $600 with a tyvec hood. Small electric air pump.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...obbyair+eastwood+breathing&_sacat=0&_from=R40

That's a link to e bay. $400 and under with nice masks
Is this something that you guys recommend even for use with glass beads, or mainly just silica? The guys around here that I've seen blasting with just glass beads might have a dust mask at times, other times nothing but safety goggles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another question. I'm going over to look at compressor to blaster hose tomorrow. Am I thinking correctly here? Is bigger hose better? In my little brain I'm thinking that bigger hose acts as more "tank". Am I thinking right or backwards? I was thinking that 1/2 to 3/4" supply hose is what I would need. What do you think?

My runs from compressor to the back yard pool could easily be 200' in some cases.

·
Bob
512 Posts
You would be alright with standard 3/4" jackhammer hose. Get four 50 footers and link them up as needed. Supplied air system is to protect from silica but blasters typically always wear hoods even when shooting non-silica media but at the volumes and pressures you are going to be dealing with at least wear a good respirator with replaceable cartridges and just stay away from silica IMO

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You would be alright with standard 3/4" jackhammer hose. Get four 50 footers and link them up as needed. Supplied air system is to protect from silica but blasters typically always wear hoods even when shooting non-silica media but at the volumes and pressures you are going to be dealing with at least wear a good respirator with replaceable cartridges and just stay away from silica IMO
Would you use glass beads on natural stone also?

Any idea how much glass beads (bags) a guy would use for an average sized backyard family pool with average calcium buildup on the waterline tile? I'm imagining 1-2 50# bags? 3-4 hours of blasting? Fine or ultra-fine?

This is all new to me, so please excuse all the silly questions, and I know I keep saying it to you guys, but THANK YOU!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts