Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on doing a few things differently next year. Anybody else?

For one, I have got to get a better handle on the last-minute time-consuming add-on's for my jobs. Little things they should have requested earlier. Know what I mean?

Another one is just not taking on certain jobs. That one could be tougher.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This year I'm planning my exit strategy. I made a major down size last year. From 10 to just my business partner and I to see how it would look financially with two people working.

It seems the only way to make enough money to make this business worth the headache is to be making a few dollars off each man working in the field. I just can't seem to make enough money per hour in actual billable hours to cover all the other non billable hours an still make enough per year to be a family man. You would think just raise your billable hr rate problem solved. That only works if other contractors are billed out at the same or within reason. I am amazed at how low other contractors in the area are willing to work for.

I wish contractors talked more about pricing amongst themselves like plumbers and electricians do. John Doe the home owner knows he's going to be billed out 70-90 hr for a plumber and electrician and each plumber and electrician knows to charge those rates.

I don't want to go back to a 10 man crew because that came with a whole different level of aggravation and liability.

Maybe I can find one of those over paid stay at home jobs. One that will allow me to pretend to work, get paid, and annoy some contractor working on my house.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
1)Delegate more.
2)Define employees responsibilites better.
3)Define non profitt jobs better, so as to make all jobs profitable, instead of accepting the good with bad.
4)Do a routine maintance & inventory worksheets for shop operations.
5)Add 4,000 sq ft to shop.
6)And most important...Give myself more free time, even if it means reducing proffit!;)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
As I look back over this year I think where I have tried to improve my operation. I took on an employee and I turned down quite a few jobs. These jobs were exterior old residential repaints, I have decided I no longer want to take these on.

I trying to limit the scope of my business to the high end residential repaint and wallpaper market. The commercial and lower end of the painting world is too cut throat, I want no part of it.

Each year I improve my bookkeeping skills, this year I done a lot better but I still need to be more disciplined.

So my new year resolution is the same as last year and stays the same all year, to do a better job of sticking to my business plan.

·
Super Moderator
30,074 Posts
Rock Headed;1905821It aint all about the bottom line.[/QUOTE said:
It helps though :thumbsup:

Make more money ,for me, in '14, I hope.

Keep not working weekends, for the most part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts