Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Hello guys! I would like to hear some feedback from other flooring contractors on this one. I'm thinking of starting a wood flooring business, but I'm alittle concerned about not getting enough work or how the market is. I am currently working full-time with a general contracting firm where there is no professional growth. We do alot of government work, but things aren't looking bright for the company. I would like to use my estimating and project management skills to make money for myself since I haven't gotten a raise for almost three years! I've tried numerous interviews with other general contracting firms, but no lucks due to lack of extensive experience in large scale projects. To be honest, I've never done wood flooring but my partner has done it for years (4+ yrs) including refinishing and I've been impressed with his work. Also, I can learn with him and do more by joining a floor association. And maybe down the road, I would like to expand to other work like ceramic tile in commerical and residential areas. The questions are as follow;
1. How's the market for wood flooring?
2. How's the market for ceramic tile?
3. Ave cost per square foot installed for wood flooring (Philadelphia Metro Area)
4. When new housing construction is declining, wood flooring business goes down too?? I said this cuz i think there are more in residential projects than commerical projects.
5. Workload is low in the winter season??

Would appreciate your help, thanks!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
You and your friend need to sit down and do a business plan. If you need help with this one good resource is your bank. They can actually give you some coaching as well as a form to go by. The as you work through your business plan, you'll find all the answers you need.

Generally speaking, it is pretty hard to start any business without start-up capitol and advertisement. 4 years experience is still a little green if you ask me...but with a determination it can be done.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Penn, I'm in FL and everything is jammin'. Can't help you with prices up there. Work goes up here during the winter, summer was our slow time. Today we don't get a break, we have to make them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pennjav35 said:
Hello,

To be honest, I've never done wood flooring but my partner has done it for years (4+ yrs) including refinishing and I've been impressed with his work.

Has he thought of going to the technical classes offered at NWFA?

I work with a shopowner who started without a lot of installation experience. He was in charge of the ordering department at his old company so already had all his suppliers and vendors lined up before striking out on his own. Also he left with one of the biggest clients from his old company. He doesn't do a lot of residential work, mainly new tract housing since the client is a developer. He also had a list of experienced installers he knew from his years at his old job. Quite a nice set up really.

Good luck.

·
Registered
375 Posts
That's really weird. I could have sworn this thread was started only a few weeks ago.:eek: :blink: :whistling

·
Registered
45 Posts
currently I am working on starting my own flooring shop. I was raised an installer. I personaly install tile and laminate flooring. I am getting jobs from the only flooring shop in town and generating contacts with other installers that would be all to happy to get more jobs through me.

so currently i am in the networking stage since i am not from this area.

the cost of living here is so cheep i could afford to sub out every job i get currently though regular flooring shops and still make more then enough to live on its great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts