Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this might be a re-post to some of u because i posted it in the introductions thread yesterday but here ya go

hi my name is Gus and i just turned 20 years old. i currently attend arizona state university. by this summer i will have my associates in housing and urban development. idealy in the future i want to start my own development company. but i understand that i have to start from the ground up. and being the age that im at i am perfectly fine with that. i do have a few questions tho

from school and a little research ive done ive come to the understanding that initially i need to learn the field that im aproaching by taking it on hands on. id like to work construction for a few years while im still in my 20s. id also like that experience to be as enjoyable as possible and from what ive put together construction workers make more money on the north east rather then say here in phx because of simple supply and demand of workers. here there is an abundance of foreigners that take up most of that market and do so for less money.

so some of my first initial questions are. how hard is it going to be for me to get up pack up and move to somewhere either mid west or east coast and find a job with little to no experience in construction and only a small degree?
and is it true that me making the trip in that direction would behove me finicially.

any feed back would be great. and im up for critisizm at all times. let me know if i sound nieve.

thanx alot
Gus

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
The labor costs are higher where I am
It's not just because of a lack of an abundance of cheap foreign labor
The cost of living here is higher

So although I can get a higher price for a project then someone in another region, my materials, my overhead, my cup of coffee costs more

If you moved here you'd get a higher wage, but it'd be eaten up by the high rent for your apartment

That's not to say you shouldn't, it's just the higher wage is only part of the story, and shouldn't be the only reason for you to move

Actually, maybe it would be interesting if you posted the average rent for an apartment in you area
And the median price for a house
If we compare them with this area maybe you could get an idea if you would actually make more money, and keep more money, working here

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well here are some numbers i know
1bedroom apt near school. not very nice. less than 1000sqfeet is about 500/m+utilities

a nice 2bedroom in the wealthier part of town is about 900-1000+utilities

i live in a house 2 blocks from asu right now. im just renting a room from a very good friend that owns the house and its 400/m +about 150 for my part in utilities.(house split in 2 and im stingy on water and gas usage and dont have cable. just internet.)

whats it like where u are?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also real quick what can i expect to make begining in construction at fisrt? all i need is to be able to live. no wife etc. its just me prob will be in an appt at first then ill buy a crappy house and start remodeling that in my free time/weekends/slow seasons.

again main Q is how much can i expect to make?

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
:eek:
Wow, I didn't really expect that big of a difference

iamgus_gus said:
1bedroom apt near school. not very nice. less than 1000sqfeet is about 500/m+utilities
$900
iamgus_gus said:
a nice 2bedroom in the wealthier part of town is about 900-1000+utilities
$1750 minimum, over $2K w/o blinking an eye, $3200 pretty common for the wealthier part of town, and not the highest either*, but you'll get more bedrooms

Boy no wonder people always :eek: whenever I tell them about our housing costs

The median house price for a house in my town right now is $374K (it was just in the paper)
I looked at a fixer-upper in a bad part of town and under the giant power lines (really), and they were asking 200K
That's the cheapest in town

To give you an idea of wages or income, I'd use the National Estimator
Different regions are +, -, or = to the costs in there
My region is aboiut 20% over the average in the National Estimator
If your area is = to the nat. avg., then you'd earn about 20% more than you would where you are now
Do you know where your region is compared to the Nat Avg. in the 2005 National Estimator?

*Just to let you know I don't live anywhere near David Letterman and Martha Stewart lol
They live on the other side of the state, more like a rich NYC suburb
They're in another world really, and for marketing/income/construction purposes, quite literally

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
iamgus_gus said:
again main Q is how much can i expect to make?
What exactly would you want to do?
Work on a small crew?
Join the union and work for a big one in the city?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The difference in salaries will be offset by the cost of living. Here in NJ, you'd start out making $10-12/hour as a construction laborer, and spend at least $1500/month for an apartment. No better than you'd do in Phoenix on a relative scale.

Honestly, I'd look to get in with a homebuilder as an assistant super, or in their office as a plans clerk or something. While it helps to have some hands on experience, the big key in development is knowing the numbers and the market, and how to manage others. You can always find someone to bang nails- finding someone who can managing that nail-banging effectively is a different story.

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well then let me ask this. do any of u have any advice to point me in the right direction of a place where id be able to find work semi easily? (hitting nails basicly because i want to be able to know and do that side of the business and i might as well learn it now at my age)
im looking for somewhere either midwest or east coast. anywhere that atleast has all 4 seasons! i hate the heat here. i lived in chicago untill i was 10 and im not saying i love the freezing cold/snow and all but im willing to take that over the heat anyday.

so i guess im just asking for peoples opinions on where they think a nice place to start would be. or if u were to do it all over again what would u do and where would u do it?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Sorry to sound ambiguous, but just about any big city on the East Coast is busy right now, and I can count on one hand the number of contractors I know who can honestly say "I have no problem finding good help" (I could actually count them all two or three times each...lol).

I moved back to NJ after 5 years in Las Vegas, so I know what you mean about the heat out there. Pack up the car, hit the road, and do some exploring to find someplace you really like- what have you got to lose other than some gas???

If you end up in Jersey, give me a yell- maybe I can point you toward some possibilities.

Bob

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
iamgus_gus said:
well then let me ask this. do any of u have any advice to point me in the right direction of a place where id be able to find work semi easily?
Florida or New Orleans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bob Kovacs said:
Sorry to sound ambiguous, but just about any big city on the East Coast is busy right now, and I can count on one hand the number of contractors I know who can honestly say "I have no problem finding good help" (I could actually count them all two or three times each...lol).

I moved back to NJ after 5 years in Las Vegas, so I know what you mean about the heat out there. Pack up the car, hit the road, and do some exploring to find someplace you really like- what have you got to lose other than some gas???

If you end up in Jersey, give me a yell- maybe I can point you toward some possibilities.

Bob
thnx alot. very insightful post

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm a little surprised you haven't been approached or at least notified of large, local construction companies taking on summer internships with college students. If your grades are decent and you present yourself well, you should have no problems getting some experience in the construction field and earn some income to boot.

A word of advice, Gus. Work on your punctuation, grammar, and spelling. It is invaluable in the business world to write correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
niner thank you for the input. i have yet to be approached by anyone for that matter. then again there are alot of college students around, 60K at asu alone. As for my grammer and punctuation, i appreciate the concern. hopfully this response will help salidify my abilities. I tend to do pretty well in that subject, only im on alot of forums and its easier for me to write in a sloppier mannar. thus i got used to typing that way.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Get ready to head to LA, MS, or AL. They will be so desperate for help of any kind you will get hired if you can just show up.

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
foreiners are here too

iamgus_gus said:
this might be a re-post to some of u because i posted it in the introductions thread yesterday but here ya go

hi my name is Gus and i just turned 20 years old. i currently attend arizona state university. by this summer i will have my associates in housing and urban development. idealy in the future i want to start my own development company. but i understand that i have to start from the ground up. and being the age that im at i am perfectly fine with that. i do have a few questions tho

from school and a little research ive done ive come to the understanding that initially i need to learn the field that im aproaching by taking it on hands on. id like to work construction for a few years while im still in my 20s. id also like that experience to be as enjoyable as possible and from what ive put together construction workers make more money on the north east rather then say here in phx because of simple supply and demand of workers. here there is an abundance of foreigners that take up most of that market and do so for less money.

so some of my first initial questions are. how hard is it going to be for me to get up pack up and move to somewhere either mid west or east coast and find a job with little to no experience in construction and only a small degree?
and is it true that me making the trip in that direction would behove me finicially.

any feed back would be great. and im up for critisizm at all times. let me know if i sound nieve.

thanx alot
Gus
when you say "foreigners" i assume that includes illegals,I'm from long island new york and were being over run by them,contractors beware this is going to affect the job market for all US citizens,hire tax paying citizens!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nywoodwizard said:
when you say "foreigners" i assume that includes illegals,I'm from long island new york and were being over run by them,contractors beware this is going to affect the job market for all US citizens,hire tax paying citizens!
ya mostly illegal. in long island what kind of illegals are about?

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
too many

iamgus_gus said:
ya mostly illegal. in long island what kind of illegals are about?
they out number white crews from what i see :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts