Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darren Slaugther finished up my site today. I have a bit of work to do myself but Im happy with the results. I specifically requested Darren to keep the site as simple and clean as possible while using multiple services such as custom homes, roofs and additions. The logo which I provided is bugging me but it's my fault. The F is wrong. Anyway, any tips would be useful such as title tags and how to check meta tags. In the coming days Ill upload any post I have and hopefully continue to grow our online traffic.

For those still on the fence about hiring someone to do your site, go ahead and jump down and contact one of the great providers here. I went with Darren for a few different reasons but I was equally impressed by Carl and Steve. I work with my brother and had to first convince him that the world had indeed moved online, so I created a site myself the best I could. I started seriously working on things in November of 2012 after reading lots of stuff on this forum. Six months later things started slowly trickling in from our efforts online. Each month things pick up a little more. In the last six weeks we have received 3 request for quotes on Custom Homes 7 roof quotes and a Garage that we turned down because we never seem to get them as well as a few other smaller things. I only post these numbers because they would never have happened without making an effort online. You can not afford to not be online and I would even say you can't afford to not hire a professional at this point. Don't think of the options as word of mouth vs a website or social media. Think of the options as word of mouth digitized with a website and accelerated with social media or being constrained by word of mouth alone.

Now to catch up with everyone else in content and use of wordpress. I can hardly thank you all enough for the information you have provided here over the last few years. I was to the point of thinking seriously about a career change because I hated the way things were going. When I decided to give our website attention over a year ago we were doing installs for Lowes (worse decision ever) and chasing work all over the state. I was miserable and Im sure everyone who worked with me was as well.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I'll have to check out your site Lee when I'm on my desktop. All I see is the mobile version which looks very clean and easy to navigate.

I'm glad you're happy with your decision.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes perfect sense to me. Sometimes I feel like I should kick myself for being so stubborn about things. If anyone wants someone to emulate over the next year I suggest you check out http://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/. Personally the site design does nothing for me but start with pool 101 and the blog and see the massive amounts of content Marcus created. His story is impressive. I think the guy is a rockstar when it comes to being great at helping customers and dominating for everything thing related to fiberglass pools on the web.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ohiohomedoctor said:
I'd get a link on the top to go from the mobile site to the full site. Drives me nuts when I'm on a tablet or my note and can't get the whole story..
It's the whole site I think. Just a responsive design. The only thing that changes is the navigation becomes a drop down menu on phones. I didn't like the navigations that bunch up randomly on phones.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Way to take the initiative and go after a website, but I think you need some major work on it still.

Page titles are a mess, no interlinking, small site in general, alt text in 1 photo says custom homes. BFD.....

I harp on and on about this crap but it matters. I respect Darren a lot but what happened to SEO being baked in? You have no location anchors in your content, *page titles*, H1s , alts (i didnt check them all).

Needs a lot of work....the content is just a wall of text, could use some bullet points, something to break it up. Close the deal at the end.

I only rip on your site because im looking out for you, not to be a dick.

The site looks like 2010 too. It has a weird vibe with me, i dunno. Wierd. Looks like a wix site or something.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Way to take the initiative and go after a website, but I think you need some major work on it still.

Page titles are a mess, no interlinking, small site in general, alt text in 1 photo says custom homes. BFD.....

I harp on and on about this crap but it matters. I respect Darren a lot but what happened to SEO being baked in? You have no location anchors in your content, *page titles*, H1s , alts (i didnt check them all).

Needs a lot of work....the content is just a wall of text, could use some bullet points, something to break it up. Close the deal at the end.

The site looks like 2010 too. It has a weird vibe with me, i dunno. Wierd. Looks like a wix site or something.

:) I didn't take offense. I mean I didn't make it after all. This was the input I wanted. Im not concerned about the size of the site because I knew what I was getting with that when I went into it. Im more concerned about things like page titles. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
I visited your other site a week ago or so and thought that was the one that was new. It was pretty decent and could have been tweeked.

·
Registered
109 Posts

JBM, I recently had my site done as well. would you mind taking a look and give me an idea of what i should or shouldnt do to help?
Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I visited your other site a week ago or so and thought that was the one that was new. It was pretty decent and could have been tweeked.
The problem with the old site was how long it took to do anything. It took me forever to update anything and I made the entire things with iweb and the code was a mess I was told over and over. I couldn't do drop down menus so I had to creatively set up the navigation. Also I couldn't make a responsive design, so I used huge clickable pictures as buttons for big fingers on small screens. Anything else you notice? I am just making a list of things Id like to fix.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
JBM, I recently had my site done as well. would you mind taking a look and give me an idea of what i should or shouldnt do to help?
Thanks in advance for any help
Not to derail the thread, but your page loads horribly. Could be a server issue. You have no page titles. Your H1's are poor, content doesnt touch on locations. No interlinking. You need to expand your services. Do you do staining, sanding, historic restorations, stripping, natural look "stuff", i dunno all that crap.

Site needs work and wont rank much.

On page is the #1 area web guys piss the pot. For whatever reason its like a mystery how search engines determine relevancy for webpages.....like science or something.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
The problem with the old site was how long it took to do anything. It took me forever to update anything and I made the entire things with iweb and the code was a mess I was told over and over. I couldn't do drop down menus so I had to creatively set up the navigation. Also I couldn't make a responsive design, so I used huge clickable pictures as buttons for big fingers on small screens. Anything else you notice? I am just making a list of things Id like to fix.
Responsive is a nice touch (dont get me wrong, its on my list) but people who are going to dump 10k on their house are sitting in front of their main computer. Maybe they do some recon on their tablet, but whatever...

I will look closer, but there are other things to consider as well. People are using service area pages now with a google map with schema to tell google your location in nanoo nanoo talk. Reviews on your site in todays day and age need to be schema markup as well. You should have hreview plugin with a customer review page as well. Let them fill out reviews right on your site. Google will display the review star rating when your serp result is shown.

There is quite a bit to know, more then 2 years ago. More then I know-notice I dont make my own sites...

1 - 20 of 137 Posts