Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's my new website.....www.waukeshaplumbing.com

something new i decided to try is listing my prices on line...i dont see a reason not to....my competition can call me any time and pretend and get the same prices, so why not just list them for everyone to see....im hoping it will further cut down on the price shoppers or eliminate them all together

i think it turned out very well.....i went all out from hiring someone for a new logo/tag line to hiring a pro photographer

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I tried online price lists a couple times but I never saw much of a change in customer behavior. We are in different industries though so I would imagine it may work better for you.

FYI - When I click on "repair and replacement" I get a 404 error.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the feedback...

i havent spend any time yet going through it all looking for errors...i did it before he made it live, but i suppose now there's a few errors....it will be handled tomorrow im sure

im experimenting with the pricing.....i will leave it up for a few months and then take it down for a few months and see what the difference is.....its something ive never seen before....losing the customer interaction is something to consider....but im so busy these days id rather take the chance...better to sell the job before they call me

the site builder will handle SEO for me.....he's a good/honest guy ive known through a forum for years....he criticized my original website badly, so i figured he knew best for the redo....and it appears that he did

·
Chris
260 Posts
I thought about trying the online pricing. I then listed the pros and cons. Cons far outwayed pros and somebody usually gets screwed (you or the customer). Either way its a losing situation.

If you advertise $100 an hour then some jack leg in your area is going to advertise $90... and then the cycle begins.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
the site builder will handle SEO for me.....he's a good/honest guy ive known through a forum for years....he criticized my original website badly, so i figured he knew best for the redo....and it appears that he did
Good deal. Your backlink profile is pretty clean right now. I strongly suggest you request no link building is done to your site, aside from the necessary links from sites similar to best of the web ect and the likes.

All seo going forward should be content curation, social, blogging and lateral brand outreaching such as developing a voice on web2.0 communities.

local seo is more important then ever, 99% of us could just do that and call it a day.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought about trying the online pricing. I then listed the pros and cons. Cons far outwayed pros and somebody usually gets screwed (you or the customer). Either way its a losing situation.

If you advertise $100 an hour then some jack leg in your area is going to advertise $90... and then the cycle begins.
but whats the difference between someone looking up my price on a 50 gallon water heater on line or calling me for the price? either way the price is the price.....it just saves me answering the phone for a price shopper

i try not to compete on price....my goal is for that customer to see im $10 more for the same waterheater and choosing me anyways because im a better plumber with better quality/service

im never the cheapest....anyone shopping for price and getting 3 bids will find im the middle or highest bid

i still dont see a negative to listing prices besides losing the chance to sell a customer in person over the phone....

·
AmCraft Manufacturing
31 Posts
Having the pricing online lets the end user / potential customer assume that the price is a rigid number, like PowerWash was alluding to. Even if you may not compete on price - your competitor will. And if they interact with a competitor to get the price, and your price is already listed (without interaction), how would they know that you offer better customer service?

You may be the better plumber with better quality/service. But the first point of contact is usually a selling point. Without that interaction, there is already a disconnect between potential customer and your company. A call and/or email will give them an insight on personality, response time, industry knowledge, friendliness, etc. It's not to say customer service alone will do it. But neither will price alone, if you are offering a product and a service. ESPECIALLY if you are going into their home and/or business. They want to trust you.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my original website (6 months ago) got me 1 job a month
the next website got me around 4-6 jobs a month
this latest and greatest version has gotten me 2 jobs in 2 days

spending what it takes and getting a professional website is so important...wish i had learned it 8 years ago when i started....better late then never i guess....

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i mainly do remodels for builders

for homeowners i rarely do large projects...its mostly water heaters and misc service work

a homeowner with $$ hires a remodeler to do his large project
a homeoener with little $$ subs it out to save a buck and typically hires the cheapest subs he can...i think thats why i rarely get/do larger remodels for homeowners

·
Registered
2 Posts
Love the site and design. Gives you everything you need on the homepage. Phone number, lead form for opt in, testimonials, what you do, trust seals and address.

Only thing missing is social media but not a huge factor in the Home Improvement Community although it is a nice addition.

Great job overall.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts