Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Stripped old VCT over 30 year old flooring. I Need to install new VCT flooring on existing plywood. Glue residue looks non existent. Flooring seems like it could be piss coated with some kind of leveler. No deep gouges. Money is somewhat of an issue. Can I get away with not installing new luan or am I looking for headaches. The job is in a kitchen of a restaurant/bar where two wheelers are used every Monday and Tuesday to bring in cases of beer and stock. I have done many VCT jobs before but always installed new luan. If I do in this case, there will be a quarter inch lip every time a two wheeler goes through the kitchen. Might just be paranoid but hoping a non full time flooring guy doesn't have to install new luan. I know about different
metal trims . My biggest issue is old seemingly good flooring which I want to install new vct,s . :confused: for now.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
IMO, - - I'd definitely go with the Luaunne (never could figure out how to spell that word), - - too big of a risk of a complete nightmare down the road, - - plus, as you already know, - - an easier and more professional 'install' over a fresh, perfectly smooth surface. You can use a store-bought 'transition-strip' for the floor differential.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some times you Know the answer before you ask the question, I guess you just proved it . Have done their work for 15 years hoped I caught an easy one.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm surprised a 1/4in. lip would be a big deal for a two wheeler. I guess it could be in tight quarters, you don't want to risk spilling any beer. :) I'm not aware of any adhesive or application that I would trust on 30 year old underlay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not really the 1/4 lip it is the 150lbs on the 2 wheeler 20+ times every delivery . Still, headline story is existing flooring which is sound. The reason I stripped old vct instead of going over was afraid of chips telegraphing thru luan (not sure of spelling either, but less keystrokes, no offense tom r )

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's Luaun. And a high traffic area like that should get something better.

Don

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the grammer lesson , your never to old to learn. Job is now a history lesson but never the less thanks for input don . :Thumbs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts