Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current 2 trucks are 2009 f150 4wd, ext cab which is my personal truck that I do not use for work and really dont want to start now.
My current work truck is a 2001 f150 4wd, 4door (supercrew)

My work truck is paid for and is starting to need some work done to it. Nothing serious but its time to throw a few bucks into her if I am going to keep it.

Being a big fan of older square body trucks, I was thinking I might restore an older one for work instead of redoing my 2001.

2 of my favorite trucks I have had in the past was a 87' chevy 3/4 ton and a 96 f250

Both of these trucks were unbelievably tough trucks. And I thought if I was to build a truck from ground up either would be a great canidate.

I got this idea the other day after seeing a truck my buddy just finished building. mid 80's 1/2 ton chevy. lifted with 33" tires, a cowl hood, rebuilt trans and rebuilt 350 small block. Nothing crazy for power but still a very nice tough looking truck

These older chevy's are tough but also cheap to rebuild, fix and maintain. If I were to build one I would order a crate 350, there cheap enough at around 2500.

If i was to build the ford I would have to decide on the 300-6 or the 351 windsor. Both great. The 300-6's are just about bullet proof with a great track record.

And of course the other option is to throw some bucks at my 2001, doing this would be around 4k to get it where I want it to be.

Thoughts?

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
I always wanted a restored older truck rather than a new one..

I don't need a computer shutting my truck off when I need it the most!!

I'd go Chevy myself and have an 87 sitting on heap hill too bad she will never see the light of day lol

My neighbor has a 85 plow truck that looks real nice still I'd love to scoop up

Do the project and make thread!!!!

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Yes it does but not as advanced as today's crap, I was thinking along the lines of onstar and other big brother crap added on, you know someone else can locate or shut off your car type crap!!

·
Registered
Remodel
31,664 Posts
If you have a workshop to work on it and the tools for it, benches, etc, I always liked the F150 300-6. I have a '95 / manual / 4X4 as a back up plow truck (actually, it's my GF's).

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Buy new(er).

I've been wrenching on cars most of my life and one thing that I find to be evident is that no amount of fixing and/or restoration can turn an old car into a new one.

I would fix something up if reliability wasn't an issue or if I didn't need the truck on a daily basis... e.g. if all of my tools and equipment were on site 90% of the time and I could catch a cab if I had to.

But if your vehicle is your daily driver mobile office, get something newer. What you are proposing sounds like a great hobby project to show off to your clients every now and then if you ever find yourself talking "shop" to them.

But ever since I've been driving around in this brand new mini-van, one thing that I can say is that every time I get in and turn the key, it starts. I am free from constant thought of "What's that?" every time I smell something burning or hear strange sounds, etc.

Any time I get back into the bigger van I still cross my fingers from time to time but I still feel comfortable that I have the new van to fall back on if I have a problem while I'm out with it.

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats a sweet truck. Yeah as far as reliabilty i have no fear driving an older truck. Theres a lot less things to go wrong with an old one compaired to the new ones. I am a great mechanic when it comes to the older things. Ive done just about everything there is to do to a truck at one time or another. I have restored many vehicles over the years and have driven a ton of miles with them. The new trucks are very hard to work on and alot of things that fail are above my abilities.

I am not married to any brand, ford, chevy, dodge. All the same to me. All have weak points and all have there advantages. I have over the years seemed to buy more fords manely because its the biggest dealership around my area and thats where I have always gone for new trucks.

As far as the 87' having tbi, imo still better then the modern day fi systems.
And I am not set on an 87' still thinking it over. Its going to take some time to find a good starter truck. the biggest thing I am looking for is the amount of rust. Some dont understand Maine and the aweful rust we get up here. Not to mention all the salt that they put on rd. Very harsh on vehicles undersides.

Once I find a good starter truck, hopefully within a month or two, I will be starting a tread showing everything.

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
If you provide us with your current financial situation,would be much easier to give you the right advise :laughing:

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going back to driving old trucks. Not so sure what the issue is with reliability, but I would not be afraid to cross the country with my old girl.

Here is my current love affair, 1978, all original, all options, 454.
That truck is so nice, did you find it in that shape or haveto bring it back to life yourself?

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
That truck is so nice, did you find it in that shape or haveto bring it back to life yourself?
It was in pretty nice shape when I bought it, just needed some love.

I have replaced all gaskets and seals, it does not leak a drop of anything. Seats are perfect, it needs new front carpet and the headliner replaced. The windshield has a crack. I replaced the cab lights and got all the lights and accessories working properly. It has ice cold factory AC.

I added stainless vent shades, bed rail caps and tail gate protector. I am trying to get a NOS hood ornament and a set of factory hub caps.

Next year I want to buff the paint and polish all the trim. I am also planning to lower it and install a modern electric OD transmission for road trips and long distance hauling.

It has just over 100k on it.

Paid 2gs for it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
12 valve Cummins are cool trucks, that are probably always going to hold their value, or go up. Same with OBS 7.3's
Ya thats the direction I'd go in for an older work truck. The old gassers just can't compete with their fuel economy or with the fuel economy of newer gassers... I wouldn't rule out a 24v cummins or a newer 7.3 though

I'll throw in if gas wasn't so damn expensive where I'm at I'd be looking for a 1988-1998 GMC/chevy K2500 extended cab longbed with a 350 and a stick shift. Beautiful trucks, stupid reliable, easy to maintain, inexpensive to buy, practical layout...

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Ya thats the direction I'd go in for an older work truck. The old gassers just can't compete with their fuel economy or with the fuel economy of newer gassers... I wouldn't rule out a 24v cummins or a newer 7.3 though
Both of my old big blocks do better then my neighbors new f250 or the other neighbors 6.0 gmc.

The problem with the older oil burners is the trucks they are in have rotted around them and people want stupid money for them still.

I want a gm with a 6.2. No power, but they hit 25mpgs + consistently.

·
Registered
818 Posts
6.5 turbo is a little more powerful and still gets good mpg's

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
WarnerConstInc. said:
It was in pretty nice shape when I bought it, just needed some love. I have replaced all gaskets and seals, it does not leak a drop of anything. Seats are perfect, it needs new front carpet and the headliner replaced. The windshield has a crack. I replaced the cab lights and got all the lights and accessories working properly. It has ice cold factory AC. I added stainless vent shades, bed rail caps and tail gate protector. I am trying to get a NOS hood ornament and a set of factory hub caps. Next year I want to buff the paint and polish all the trim. I am also planning to lower it and install a modern electric OD transmission for road trips and long distance hauling. It has just over 100k on it. Paid 2gs for it.
iirc, the 700r4 is a non electronic 4spd. Might be an easier swap.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts