Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a carpenter. We want to demo a shower and install a tub using the existing drain. It's on a slab in a highrise and we don't want to cut the concrete. Is it as simple as elevating the tub a few inches to tie into the shower drain? We're in Los Angeles.

Yes a plumber will connect it all but, when I ask him questions early before a job the price seems to go up $600 or more. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I'm a carpenter. We want to demo a shower and install a tub using the existing drain. It's on a slab in a highrise and we don't want to cut the concrete. Is it as simple as elevating the tub a few inches to tie into the shower drain? We're in Los Angeles.

Yes a plumber will connect it all but, when I ask him questions early before a job the price seems to go up $600 or more. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I suggest a licensed plumber do the complete job, if you have a problem in a highrise, $600 will be the least of your worries.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
It's on a slab in a highrise and we don't want to cut the concrete.
I would assume that the building is a PT slab, a fair assumption because current fire and building codes alomst mandate such fire resistant construction in multi-storey multi-family use buildings.

As such, it is almost impossible to do any size cut or core without extensive knowledge of the PT cables, or x-rays

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
but. my plumber doesn't do the framing (or the tiling). looking for ideas here...
The plumber will set the tub and tie the drain into it, then you will do your tile work, frame everything first.

trying to raise the tub up so it will allow the plumbing to run underneath it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
exactly right...

we don't want to cut. (and xrays are required). We're trying to find the minimum elevation needed to raise the tub so as not to cut or core and what is the preferred method. This is early in the planning stage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plumber will set the tub and tie the drain into it, then you will do your tile work, frame everything first.

trying to raise the tub up so it will allow the plumbing to run underneath it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Thanks Bwalley, every tub I've seen on a slab has a cutout in the slab for the tub plumbing. When we demo the shower, I don't expect to see that cutout. I'm just looking for the proper solution - short of cutting or coring.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Thanks Bwalley, every tub I've seen on a slab has a cutout in the slab for the tub plumbing. When we demo the shower, I don't expect to see that cutout. I'm just looking for the proper solution - short of cutting or coring.
Most likely the slab will have to be cored, but it needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing since it is a high rise and is most likely a post tensioned slab.

doing work in a highrise is a lot different than working on a residential sfr, or a duplex.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
we don't want to cut. (and xrays are required). We're trying to find the minimum elevation needed to raise the tub so as not to cut or core and what is the preferred method. This is early in the planning stage.
raising the tub to allow for the plumbing to run underneath will cause problems using the tub.

If you can't do the job right, don't do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
who said the plumbing is going under the tub? read the question?

your handle seems to fit - i thought i could get a quick professional answer here... didn't expect a lecture

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts

your handle seems to fit - i thought i could get a quick professional answer here... didn't expect a lecture
If the drain is under going to end up under the tub, how are you going to tie into it if the tub drane without running the plumbing under the tub?

here is your 1st post.

not giving you a lecture, I am trying to let you know what you are proposing is going to turn out to be a nightmare for the client.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

While Big Wally can be ascerbic, as so can I, I read your question and his answer in directly the same fashion. I understand that you want to raise the tub onto a framed member, because the drain locations do not match.

If you want to take Big Wally to task for this, I think you need to work on your skills with written communication first

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While Big Wally can be ascerbic, as so can I, I read your question and his answer in directly the same fashion. I understand that you want to raise the tub onto a framed member, because the drain locations do not match.

If you want to take Big Wally to task for this, I think you need to work on your skills with written communication first
point taken... the post is not as clear as it is in my mind...I'll work on that. My apologies to Big Wally.

The tub will be positioned out from the wall so that the new tub drain will line up over the old shower drain. My question is how the connection can be made without the usual cutout where the bottom drain tub shoots into the T fitting which I see is, usually, a little below the top of the slab.

Can the tub just be shimmed up a few inches for this by wood, concrete, or ???

This job will be engineered, permitted, and insured. We are just talking plans and options right now. The client wants a tub in the master bath and there is lots of room but right now, there is only a shower.

thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Simple. Build a plinth and sit the bath on top of it and then connect your wastes from the front of the tub under the valve before you add drywall to that wall. You can then put a large inspection cover into that area so that any work that ever needs to be done to the waste and valve. You can then tile the plinth with same tile as floor tile. Done many a tub like this in the UK and it's not a big deal. If shower tray had a trap in the slab then great if not fit your self a sock trap or low profile/shallow bath trap.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
It's been a long long time since I hooked up a tub or shower. But if I remember correctly, it should be slam dunk for your plumber. Nothing to be concerned about. Nothing special to do. Nothing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys... I agree - it should be no big deal.

What I'm trying to find out, from a plumber who has done it, is if a typical tub is sitting on a slab without a cutout for the drain pipe to sit in on its way to the floor drain tee then how much do you, typically, need to raise the tub?

... and, what is the preferred method to shim up the tub? any pitfalls to avoid?

I'm not planning to do it, I'm just helping to plan the project. thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe I'm asking a stupid question.

I looked at tech sheets from American Standard. They says leave an inch clearance from the bottom of the tailpiece which sits 117mm below the floor (tub bottom).

So if I get this tub 6 inches higher than the minimum and the shower drain can be fitted to connect at that height; I should be good to go. This tub is hung by the rim but it's the same principal for a tub with feet, I guess.

thanks for engaging in the discussion. i gotta cut some wood tomorrow.:thumbup:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts