Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turned in my 2012 silverado LS and picked up a new 2014 silverado LT. Has a lot of goodies, been getting about 20mpg mixed so it's quite an improvement, even has a built in trailer brake controller in the dash

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Chevrolet

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
A lot of guys like to buy trucks newish but after depreciation was eaten by the first owner.

Buying right and keeping a year or two makes sense because the value is still there.

.55 a mile adds up.

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
A lot of guys like to buy trucks newish but after depreciation was eaten by the first owner.

Buying right and keeping a year or two makes sense because the value is still there.

.55 a mile adds up.
I get .55 a mile in my 1999 Ford van as well. IF you do the math, buying new is never a money maker. Some guys just like to have a new truck, I can accept that. But it is never a better money maker than buying a quality used truck.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Business must be good! Joking aside, I did own one new vehicle and sold it at 35k miles under warranty for 1k more, a big selling point. Why would I sell it with a problem if it was still under warranty? The piece of mind of zero repair bills, no battery, breaks, tires, etc, was nice.

·
Super Moderator
28,850 Posts
I bought a 2010 for a song in December 2011, plan to drive it two more years and turn into a crew vehicle.

Nice truck, dude.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I get .55 a mile in my 1999 Ford van as well. IF you do the math, buying new is never a money maker. Some guys just like to have a new truck, I can accept that. But it is never a better money maker than buying a quality used truck.
Used trucks are crazy high around here the last few years, I often wonder who is dumb enough to buy them. I looked for a year before i gave in and bought new. It helps to know what to pay for a new one....most pay more then they should.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I always get them as left overs. Usually 7500 cash back. Can't beat it. Plus I use my gm MasterCard and get another few grand off and then some more off for currently own a gm. And then they throw in a business up fit package worth a grand, and I'm good to go.

Back when Pontiac went out my dad got my mom a g6. Sticker was 26k, he ended up paying 12k.

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
I always buy new, because I can

Remember someone picked their nose in that used truck, and wiped it somewhere close to where your sitting. :eek:
Don't worry, some guy on the assembly line probably farted on your seat multiple times. Like I said, if you buy new because you like having a new truck, I can accept that. But you guys that think it is better financially are just not good at math. I know my numbers. They include purchase price, operating expenses, resale, etc. I would expect to spend at least $3000a year more to drive new.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Warren said:
Don't worry, some guy on the assembly line probably farted on your seat multiple times. Like I said, if you buy new because you like having a new truck, I can accept that. But you guys that think it is better financially are just not good at math. I know my numbers. They include purchase price, operating expenses, resale, etc. I would expect to spend at least $3000a year more to drive new.
I agree with your math, but I am at an age where it's ok for me to spend my money on new vehicles. I had my time in life where I couldn't. I owned plenty of old clunkers getting to where I am today. I paid my dues. Remember it's not the guy who dies with the most money wins. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
I agree with your math, but I am at an age where it's ok for me to spend my money on new vehicles. I had my time in life where I couldn't. I owned plenty of old clunkers getting to where I am today. I paid my dues. Remember it's not the guy who dies with the most money wins. :thumbsup:
Like I said, I am cool with that reasoning. I don't run around in leaky clunkers. I buy them about 5 years old with plenty of life left. I keep it stored inside a garage to keep it from rusting out. I always pay cash so as not to pay interest or full coverage insurance. I tend to buy a little nicer for the wife, but still three years old or so. I prefer to use the saved money to put two girls through college.

I am in the market now for my next used one. I am looking to spend about 10k and really want another one ton van. Hard to find for sure, but I am not in a huge hurry.

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
I am looking too, I want a early 70's or late 60's cab over chevy for my next work truck. Running a nice old truck for work in my town, will get you more attention and work then the schmuck with a new truck. Funny how 6 car and truck museums will do that.

I do like the looks of the 2014s though.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
WarnerConstInc. said:
I am looking too, I want a early 70's or late 60's cab over chevy for my next work truck. Running a nice old truck for work in my town, will get you more attention and work then the schmuck with a new truck. Funny how 6 car and truck museums will do that. I do like the looks of the 2014s though.
Not even close to how it works around here. Unless your the Gardner.

·
Super Moderator
28,850 Posts
I am looking too, I want a early 70's or late 60's cab over chevy for my next work truck. Running a nice old truck for work in my town, will get you more attention and work then the schmuck with a new truck. Funny how 6 car and truck museums will do that.

I do like the looks of the 2014s though.
My dad has been talking about restoring a 60s or late 50s Chevy and driving it as his company vehicle :thumbsup:

I like power, crew cab and AC :laughing:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts