Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this problem has been discussed but I'm looking for first hand experience.

I currently have and '09 silverado 1500 4.8l 2wd. Problem is it a: it's 2wd and b: it's got a 3.08 rear diff.

So I'm thinking a new used truck is in the cards. I really like the 2010 and newer f150 crew cab 6.5 ft bed 4wd, but I'm open to suggestions.

What is the real world mpg when towing a small trailer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked up a '14 ram 1500 and love it. Pulls the work trailer great and gets 16-17 if you keep your foot out of it. Pulling my 21' bassboat it gets about the same. Great truck for the money...I have always been a die hard chevy guy until my last Chevy truck...I was hell bent on getting a newer Tundra but after driving the Dodge I went that route. The 2014s have coil springs in the rear and ride like a dream. I went with the 5.7 with the 6 spd tranny. They say these have about 400 HP which I don't doubt...this truck absolutely hauls butt!

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
I just picked up a '14 ram 1500 and love it. Pulls the work trailer great and gets 16-17 if you keep your foot out of it. Pulling my 21' bassboat it gets about the same. Great truck for the money...I have always been a die hard chevy guy until my last Chevy truck...I was hell bent on getting a newer Tundra but after driving the Dodge I went that route. The 2014s have coil springs in the rear and ride like a dream. I went with the 5.7 with the 6 spd tranny. They say these have about 400 HP which I don't doubt...this truck absolutely hauls butt!
Post a pic!! Why didn't you go with the diesel option? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
RobertCDF said:
Diesels are still not out yet, the 5.7 hemi is generally rated the same as the tundra 15 mpg average, I was looking at the dodges too but I had really bad memory's of my 97 ram sport, there dogs after 3-4 years! The 8 spd tranny though is getting good reviews but with dodge you don't want to buy the first 1-2 years they're infamous for problems out of the gate!
I got a 2013 tundra brand new, 5.7 averaging 13.5 mpg mostly around town not getting on it, power though is def there and I can't wait to take it on a long trip!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
MJconstruction said:
Brand new tundra double cab 8 ft bed gets 12.3mpg average, and cant fit a full sheet of plywood in the bed.
Between the wheel wells a sheet doesn't lay down or you mean the length is no good?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would of loved to get the diesel but figured that will be my next truck in 3/4 ton. I got such a killer deal on this truck I could not pass it up. I have a very good friend who is a manager at a dealership and I was able to get my truck 16K off sticker.. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for but I NEEDED something with a warranty and more comfortable than my old truck since we have a little one on the way! I really wanted the Tundra but the used Tundras with 50K are selling for what I paid for a Ram with 9 miles on clock! Kind of a no brainer...so far so good. I love it.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Rather than mpg I would look at cpm or cost per mile. I get 16 mpg with my 04 v6 tundra. A gallon of gas costs 3.15. If you get 16 mpg with a diesel with a gallon cost of 4.00 a gallon the gas vehicle is more economical even though the mpg is the same. Add to that a typically increased price for the diesel and it can actually become significantly more expensive.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Metro M & L said:
Rather than mpg I would look at cpm or cost per mile. I get 16 mpg with my 04 v6 tundra. A gallon of gas costs 3.15. If you get 16 mpg with a diesel with a gallon cost of 4.00 a gallon the gas vehicle is more economical even though the mpg is the same. Add to that a typically increased price for the diesel and it can actually become significantly more expensive.
And the maintenance on diesel is more, more oil the filters, and diesel mechanics are $130 a hr , gas there's def less maintance, change the oil every 5-7k and your golden

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
The diesel option on the 1500 is slated to get 25+ mpg.

It'll all come down to what the actual selling price ends up being vs a gasser, if you get 16k off sticker for the hemi like the OP did and the diesel sells for sticker then the gasser is a better deal. The upgrade to diesel from the hemi is only $2,850 and you'll recover most of that upgrade cost at resale.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
I would of loved to get the diesel but figured that will be my next truck in 3/4 ton. I got such a killer deal on this truck I could not pass it up. I have a very good friend who is a manager at a dealership and I was able to get my truck 16K off sticker.. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for but I NEEDED something with a warranty and more comfortable than my old truck since we have a little one on the way! I really wanted the Tundra but the used Tundras with 50K are selling for what I paid for a Ram with 9 miles on clock! Kind of a no brainer...so far so good. I love it.
That's a no brainer at that price. Nice score!
I think the 1/2 ton diesel market will drive down the price on 3/4 ton diesels over the next couple of years, I'll be interested to see how it all shakes out both in the new market and used market.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got a call from my local dealer that I asked to find a truck for me. He was all excited telling me "your truck" just arrived. It has everything you want plus leather, power everything, premium stereo, yada yada.

I ask him how many miles it has. " oh it's brand new, sticker 48k"

I wanted to pay less than thirty... And pre owned. With help like this I might have a hard time finding a good deal.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know a lot of guys that drive big 4x4 diesel trucks "because they need it" and they haul nothing but their lunch box...

I've never needed to pull much more than 8-9k and I never put skids of material in the bed.

A half ton gas is all I need right now...

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I know a lot of guys that drive big 4x4 diesel trucks "because they need it" and they haul nothing but their lunch box...

I've never needed to pull much more than 8-9k and I never put skids of material in the bed.

A half ton gas is all I need right now...
Our family business has gone from diesel 1 tons to 3/4 diesels to 3/4 ton petrol and next they are looking at 1/2 ton petrol. They have only ever pulled 16ft trailers that max out at about 7-8k so half tons now are more than capable to handle that. Plus the running costs are vastly lower.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Our family business has gone from diesel 1 tons to 3/4 diesels to 3/4 ton petrol and next they are looking at 1/2 ton petrol. They have only ever pulled 16ft trailers that max out at about 7-8k so half tons now are more than capable to handle that. Plus the running costs are vastly lower.
That's a pretty big snack for a half ton, what does the family business do?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Medical Equipment hire. They should have no issue with a 1/2ton as mines the lowest capacity model they do and it handles my trailer just fine. They will prob go for a more striped single cab version so they will have more than double my capacity.
What kinda mileage do you get with yours towing?

We've got some steep hills around here... some days I get about 8mpg with a 3500 lb trailer. Something has to be wrong :eek:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts