Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, it's time for a new truck. I regularly tow my enclosed tool trailer which weighs about 5K pounds. Is a 1500 with a V-8 enough to regularly tow 5k pounds or will that be too hard on a 1500? I work within a 20 mile radius of home.

I'm contemplating a 2019 ram 1500 tradesman 4x4 8 speed automatic 5.7L V-8. Is that going to stand up to my towing needs?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,589 Posts
For only 5k lbs, any 1500 gasser should be adequate. Even if you’re crawling up goat tracks into off-grid grows. 👍 Don’t know where you’re located.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Not knowing where you live . based on my driving experience at 63 .I now say get the next size up .skip the 1/2ton office truck . you get a bigger trans and potentially bigger brakes which if needed will be appreciated . also though i run 2x, i do put posi trac in . a trailer ,slight incline and a piece of gravel and your stalled out .
you just said 'lots of hills' - new trans are not cheap . Brakes wear out - why start out with smaller pads . your going to overload your trailer ,your going to over load your truck ,it is just what happens .at least i always do ." Murphy " has a law written on this - sure of it .

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
My travel trailer and pickup weigh 12,800 lbs on a certified scale.

I've made 3 trips to Texas from south dakota with zero problems.

2017 1500 chevrolet 4wd with the 5.3. I keep very accurate records on mpg. Pulling trailer driving 60-65...8.3 mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
My travel trailer and pickup weigh 12,800 lbs on a certified scale.

I've made 3 trips to Texas from south dakota with zero problems.

2017 1500 chevrolet 4wd with the 5.3. I keep very accurate records on mpg. Pulling trailer driving 60-65...8.3 mpg.
Exact same mileage with very similar weight from a 2020 f-150, 3.5 ecoboost with the 10 speed trans.

If you can make the numbers work go for a 2500. By the time I considering fuel mileage, tires and oil changes it doesn’t make much sense for me. I have zero intention of keeping the current truck past the powertrain warranty at 60,000 miles. If you’re gonna keep one for a long time the 2500 is likely a make more sense.

keep in mind when looking at toe ratings that there’s a lot of gray area. The max towing the dealer quoted for my truck is for towing a wagon style trailer that doesn’t put weight on the hitch.
Wheel Tire Plant Sky Tree

The actual limiting factor and how much I can tow is the trucks payload capacity. You can find that out on the yellow sticker inside the driver door jam.

·
Artist and not a curator
17,634 Posts
In the early 00's O had a 2000 1500 Silverado and had to rebuild the transmission at 80k and 110. Since then haven't owned anything smaller than a Titan XD. Probably won't again. It's fine if you tow 5-7k lbs every once in a while but day in and day out usage tears it up. I don't even tow often but just like the ability to tow more or more often and not worry about it. 2500 is kinda the sweet spot, not sure with newer vehicles but that 2000 got tired quick after 50k miles.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The difference between a 1500 and a 2500 is night and day with towing

If you are loading up your trailer and truck on a regular basis and hauling on the “heavy” side I would go with the 2500

Especially in the hills

David
Go to an auto parts store and ask to see the bearings and brake rotors used on Dodge 1500 vs 2500 trucks.

and 3/4 ton trucks will generally have OEM tires with stiffer sidewalls= safer/ faster towing.

All other things being equal, longer wheel bases pull with more stability, but are harder to maneuver.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Go to an auto parts store and ask to see the bearings and brake rotors used on Dodge 1500 vs 2500 trucks.

and 3/4 ton trucks will generally have OEM tires with stiffer sidewalls= safer/ faster towing.

All other things being equal, longer wheel bases pull with more stability, but are harder to maneuver.
Absolutely The difference is huge

Most 1500s now use coil rear springs for a comfortable ride where 2500s still have leaf springs

5 lugs vs 7 lugs

Brakes are night and day difference.

Stand on the back bumper on both trucks and bounce on them, 2500s barely flinch where 1500 rock like a boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Absolutely The difference is huge

Most 1500s now use coil rear springs for a comfortable ride where 2500s still have leaf springs

5 lugs vs 7 lugs

Brakes are night and day difference.

Stand on the back bumper on both trucks and bounce on them, 2500s barely flinch where 1500 rock like a boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New ram 2500s maybe not the 3500s are on coils in the rear too. Atleast our 14 is. Seems to work just fine. A bit more complicated than it needs to be though imo.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts