Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2006 Carson 6x12 single axle. Only has 500 miles on it and served as a Christmas decoration storage unit to the previous owner lol!I really wanted a 7x14 dual axle but could not pass up the deal I got on this trailer. Spent a few hours today on it and installed some shelves and storage. Any constructive criticism is appreciated on design ideas! Its my first trailer that Ive worked out of so I am sure I will want to redesign some things. Haven't transferred most of my tools over to the trailer yet so that will be interesting when the time comes next week to do so.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Good luck with your new trailer. I mean this in a positive way. Although smaller than you were thinking about, you will still get alot of use out of it. You will also, probably, appreciate getting it into smaller areas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, it is very easy to get into tight spots so that is nice considering I store it on the side of the house in my RV access which whoever installed the concrete slabs made them fairly narrow, not sure how well the 7ft. wide trailer would fit considering that the 6ft. trailer is already on the edges of the concrete! It will work for now, when it comes time to sell it and upgrade, I will be able to profit a good chunk on it without a problem.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Thank you, it is very easy to get into tight spots so that is nice considering I store it on the side of the house in my RV access which whoever installed the concrete slabs made them fairly narrow, not sure how well the 7ft. wide trailer would fit considering that the 6ft. trailer is already on the edges of the concrete! It will work for now, when it comes time to sell it and upgrade, I will be able to profit a good chunk on it without a problem.
Just be careful. It will be very easy to overload a 6x12 if you're not careful!

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
I have the same sized single. I like the size, but wish I had gone double axle, same size. The size is great for getting into narrow areas, but the single is a bit light for loading a big stack of plywood.

That is the one thing to make sure of. It looks like you saved enough space to stack 4x8 material on the floor. When mine doesn't look like a hurricane dumped it over, it is great for stacking plywood and sheetrock in the dry.

I used the adjustable channel and brackets to hook my shelves to and I can sit plywood and sheetrock on edge strapped against the shelves, when floor space is a bit short.

Good luck with the trailer, you will soon wonder how you ever survived without one. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! I have been on the look out for a enclosed trailer for sometime. My current full time job (HVAC installer) which hasn't been fulltime in a long time has pushed me to get back to work for myself so it was time to put my license to use.

I am not too worried about over loading the trailer as I don't plan on carrying a bunch of material in it. If so, I will have the material delivered or throw it in the truck if its not too much. This trailer is going to mainly be used for my tool storage so I can just load up and go to the job and not worry about needing something. I have worked out of my truck for years and am shaking my head at myself for not doing this earlier. Just need to get this thing finished and get back to work and lining up more jobs!

Brian Peters- The flooring is 3/4" wood that was painted by the previous owner. I used the paint he had leftover for the shelving. I have been home sick this week from work so clearly I had too much time on hands according to my wife. Its either work on the trailer or sit inside sick and watch TV and that ain't happening unless fishing shows are on TV!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's few updated pics. Installed another lock on the side door. Still waiting on my blaylock locks to arrive for the gate.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I'm jealous, I see sunshine, green grass and no snow.
X2, my trailer right now is froze in about 3" of ice due to the rain and refreeze. Tomorrow it gets ripped out and dragged to another job. PITA having to carry a snow rake to clean the roof, sledge hammer to knock the blocks out of the ice/snow all the time, tongue tends to freeze if you do not keep it soaked with lubricant, locks are always freezing up, covered in road salt, wheels are rusted, roof is starting to leak, etc. Just love this cursed cold climate!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, living in California has a few perks...not many but the weather is one of them! On another note, we have to put up with ridiculous taxes, tons of illegals in our trades killing wages, theft is over the top, insane real estate prices....the list goes on. If I could only talk the wife into picking up and moving across the country! With that being said, hang in there boys...I have been seeing the weather you guys are having and its rough out there! We have just the opposite problem here in the Sacramento valley, due to our lack of rain and our idiot reps sending water to so cal we are going to have one hell of a drought this year. Can't wait to see what happens to water and electricity prices this year...the thing that really pisses me off is not being able to fish a few lakes because they are so low and launch ramps are high and dry!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Well, living in California has a few perks...not many but the weather is one of them! On another note, we have to put up with ridiculous taxes, tons of illegals in our trades killing wages, theft is over the top, insane real estate prices....the list goes on. If I could only talk the wife into picking up and moving across the country! With that being said, hang in there boys...I have been seeing the weather you guys are having and its rough out there! We have just the opposite problem here in the Sacramento valley, due to our lack of rain and our idiot reps sending water to so cal we are going to have one hell of a drought this year. Can't wait to see what happens to water and electricity prices this year...the thing that really pisses me off is not being able to fish a few lakes because they are so low and launch ramps are high and dry!
Depending on where you're thinking, the other side of the country try isn't too rosy here either. Ridiculous taxes, illegals, theft over the top, insane real estate prices, and our list keeps going on and on too......

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the middle either. Ridiculous taxes, illegals, theft over the top, insane real estate prices.

Kidding. Although I think I would move a little further south. The grass sure does look green from here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts