Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

New trailer build from a new member

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  VinylHanger 
#1 ·
Hey Guys
I was searching the net looking for trailer pics and kept coming back to this site. Now I'm hooked what a great site.

Any how after starting to look for a single axle 6x10 and reading enough posts I decided bigger is better and settled on my new trailer.
Here's the scoop
Legend Thunder series
all alum
14' to the nose of the v
7' wide
tandem axel with alum wheels
barn doors smooth sides
white

I will post pics as I go but just wanted to say hi:thumbup:

#2 ·
I am also new to the site, welcome. Make sure the trailer has larger axles, you would be suprised how quickly they get loaded especially if you haul materials to the site. A broken spring on the side of the road is no fun, thats why I upgraded trailers.

#3 ·
Welcome!

I just ordered my 7x14 with barn doors last week also!

I like the size you went with of course and the barn doors are a good option to I think.

A couple things to consider is adding some additional height. The standard from more places is 6' so I added +6" to that. While I can stand up comfortably in 6' the extra height seems to make a good difference and also you can stand a 6' step ladder up in the trailer which is main reason I went for extra height.

Also I was debating the smooth sides option and I chose to go with screwed sides. It seems that seamless sides are prone to coming loose and there isn't anything you can do to fix it yourself so you have to let the company do the repairs. I have a really good friend who hauls a 40' gooseneck for Indy Car and he hates the screwless exterior. I know that it would be better for decals but if you just remove the screws, apply the decal then replace the screws it doesn't seem to bad.

#5 · (Edited)
I have a 24' with smooth sides, 3 years old now and loaded down. I have many cabinets and had never heard of it pulling away and I have not had the problem. Everyone has their own opinion but I would always go seamless, easier to clean and looks much better. I have a ramp door and it makes it waaaaaaaaay easier to load and get in and out. I took off the passenger side cable, which does make it a tad heavier to lift, but not that big of a deal and now I dont have to go around or trip over the cable.

#6 ·
Home wood said:
Hey Guys I was searching the net looking for trailer pics and kept coming back to this site. Now I'm hooked what a great site. Any how after starting to look for a single axle 6x10 and reading enough posts I decided bigger is better and settled on my new trailer. Here's the scoop Legend Thunder series all alum 14' to the nose of the v 7' wide tandem axel with alum wheels barn doors smooth sides white I will post pics as I go but just wanted to say hi:thumbup:
You made the right choice on upgrading. after using trailers with ramps. barn doors are a must if you want to make full use of your space and they take up less room too. I forgot how many times I tripped on them dam cables. tandem was a good choice as well. screwless are nice but there are numerous reported cases of them failing. won't affect application of decals at all.

And welcome to the forum

#7 ·
Home wood said:
Hey Guys I was searching the net looking for trailer pics and kept coming back to this site. Now I'm hooked what a great site. Any how after starting to look for a single axle 6x10 and reading enough posts I decided bigger is better and settled on my new trailer. Here's the scoop Legend Thunder series all alum 14' to the nose of the v 7' wide tandem axel with alum wheels barn doors smooth sides white I will post pics as I go but just wanted to say hi:thumbup:
Welcome Home wood. You'll like that size trailer. I have the same size trailer and love it, especially the 7 ft width.

#8 ·
So the trailer I bought was used. 8 months old.
So I had to gut the previous owners work bench out.
This is what I was left with. Clean slate

So in my old e250 van I had developed a subfloor that I could slide 4x8 sheet goods under the floor. That way they don't get damaged in day to day operations.
Figured with the 6'6" interior height I would do the same.

On the curb side I have gone with two Husky tool chests. One 37" one 27". This has left me a perfect spot for my small rigid table saw.
I'm looking into materials for the bench top. Ply wood is temp.

I'm still working on the layout for the road side. I have a 30" parking for either my large DH, my big rigged portable table saw, or my genny or just a stack of ladders.
Then I will have a shelf that will have a sloped face so I can lean up additional sheets when needed. I will be adding e track for tie downs in various locations.

#12 ·
Picked up a couple Adrian steel cabinets for the trig last week.
Weather has been crap and work has been busy so the progress is slow.
I did get my safety done and a prodigy p2 brake controller.
Trailer needed two tires for the safety so I did all four and bought a spare.
Graphics to match the truck are booked for next week.
I will do a better photo shoot when complete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.